Kia Motors America Announces Pricing for First-Ever Kia Hybrid Vehicle in the U.S.
2011 Optima Hybrid Delivers 40 MPG on the Highway(1) with a Starting MSRP of $26,500(2)
- Kia's first hybrid combines class-leading fuel economy(3) with advanced technology, efficiency and design
- Optima Hybrid is first vehicle to offer Kia's UVO powered by Microsoft®(4) hands-free infotainment and communications system
IRVINE, Calif., May 10, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- With a stunning design, roomy interior, class-leading fuel efficiency and a starting price of $26,500, the 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid – Kia Motors America's (KMA) first hybrid vehicle in the U.S. – will attract those looking for a stylish and well-appointed sedan that does not sacrifice style, comfort, performance or value for fuel efficiency. Set to hit showrooms in June(5), the Optima Hybrid employs a Kia-developed powertrain that includes several innovations, including advanced lithium polymer batteries from LG Chem, to deliver up to 35 miles per gallon in city driving and 40 miles per gallon on the highway.
"Since arriving in showrooms in late 2010, the all-new Optima's combination of stylish design, upscale features and remarkable safety have attracted new customers to the Kia brand, and with gas prices continuing to rise the arrival of our first hybrid model will continue our unprecedented growth and momentum," said Byung Mo Ahn, group president and CEO, KMA and Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia. "With a starting price under $27,000, the Optima Hybrid provides fuel-conscious shoppers with an outstanding value proposition by being priced below nearly all midsize hybrid competitors and delivering class-leading fuel economy along with head-turning style and advanced technologies."
The 2011 Optima Hybrid uses a full parallel hybrid system and can be driven in zero emission, full-electric drive mode at speeds up to 62 miles per hour or in blended gas-electric mode at any speed. When the car comes to a stop and the electrical load is low, the engine shuts off to completely eliminate idle fuel consumption and emissions.
In addition to offering consumers class-leading fuel economy, the 2011 Optima Hybrid also delivers high levels of style, comfort and refinement. Available in two configurations, all Optima Hybrids offer several unique features, including front grille design, 16-inch alloy wheel design, headlamp design, fog lamps, heated outside mirrors, front and rear lower bumpers and side sills and LED tail lamp design.
Priced at $26,500, the Optima Hybrid adds to the extensive list of standard convenience features and stylish appointments found on the well-equipped Optima LX A/T trim with features such as: eight-way power adjustable driver's seat, dual zone automatic temperature control with rear vents, push-button start with smart key, Supervision™ meter cluster with LCD display, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, one-touch automatic up/down on front windows, chrome interior door handles, glove box illumination, rear reading lamps, and fixed rear seats with ski pass-through. The Virtual Engine Sound System (VESS), standard on the Optima Hybrid, plays a pre-recorded engine sound during electric-only operation to help notify people outside the vehicle that it is approaching.
The Optima Hybrid is the first Kia vehicle to offer the company's proprietary UVO powered by Microsoft® hands-free, voice-activated infotainment and communications system which is paired with the AM/FM/CD/MP3/Sat audio system and features a rear-view camera, SIRIUS® Satellite Radio capabilities with three months complimentary service(6), auxiliary and USB audio input jacks for connecting with MP3 players(7) and Bluetooth®(8) wireless technology connectivity with steering wheel-mounted controls. Based on Windows Embedded Auto Software, UVO is an easy-to-use hands-free solution that allows drivers and passengers to answer and place phone calls, receive and respond to SMS text messages, access music from a variety of media sources and create custom music experiences.
Consumers who select the Optima Hybrid with the available Hybrid Premium Technology Package, priced at $5,000, will enjoy additional comfort and convenience features, including: panoramic sunroof, unique 17-inch alloy wheel design, four-way power adjustable front passenger's seat, driver's seat memory, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats and steering wheel, HID headlamps with automatic leveling, leatherette-wrapped center fascia, auto-dimming rear-view mirror with Homelink™ and compass, a navigation system with back-up camera and SIRIUS Traffic™(9), and an eight-speaker Infinity®(10) audio system (these available features replace the UVO system).
Like all Kia vehicles, the 2011 Optima Hybrid is equipped with a high level of standard safety features, including six airbags(11) (dual advanced front and front-seat mounted side as well as full-length side curtain), front active headrests, side-impact door beams, height-adjustable front seatbelts with pre-tensioners, three-point seatbelts for all seating positions, Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Four-wheel antilock brakes (ABS), Electronic Stability Control (ESC), a Traction Control System (TCS), a Brake Assist System (BAS) and Hill Assist Control (HAC) also are standard.
The 2011 Optima Hybrid is covered by KMA's warranty program, which offers unprecedented consumer protection. Included in this program are a 10-year/100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty, a five-year/60,000-mile limited basic warranty and a five-year/100,000-mile anti-perforation warranty. A five-year/60,000-mile roadside assistance plan also is part of the vehicle coverage.
About Kia Motors America
Kia Motors America (KMA) is the marketing and distribution arm of Kia Motors Corporation based in Seoul, South Korea. KMA offers a complete line of vehicles through more than 730 dealers throughout the United States and serves as the "Official Automotive Partner of the NBA." In 2010, KMA recorded its best-ever U.S. sales and 16th consecutive year of increased U.S. market share. Kia is poised to continue its momentum and will continue to build the brand through design innovation, quality, value, safety features and new technologies.
(1) Based on preliminary test results of 35/40 MPG (city/highway) by Kia Motors Corporation. Actual mileage may vary.
(2) Starting price is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for lowest trim level. MSRPs exclude $750 destination and handling fee, title, taxes, license, options and dealer charges. Actual prices set by dealer may vary.
(3) MPG claim for 2011 Optima Hybrid. Class-leading MPG claim based on comparisons to 2011 midsize hybrids as of May 2011 and available 2011 EPA city/hwy MPG estimates for midsize hybrid competitors. Actual mileage may vary.
(4) Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
(5) Initially only available in certain states with limited availability.
(6) SIRIUS, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries. SIRIUS Radio requires a subscription, sold separately Subscriptions governed by SIRIUS Terms & Conditions available at sirius.com. SIRIUS Radio U.S. service available only to those at least 18 years of age in the 48 contiguous United States, D.C. and Puerto Rico (with coverage limitations).
(7) Optional Kia accessory cable required for iPod® mobile digital device connectivity; both sold separately.
(8) A compatible Bluetooth® wireless technology-enabled cell phone is required to use Bluetooth® wireless technology. The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Kia is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners
(9) SIRIUS, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries. SIRIUS Traffic requires a subscription, sold separately after three-month trial subscription included with vehicle purchase. Prices and programming are provided by SIRIUS and are subject to change. Subscriptions governed by SIRIUS Terms & Conditions available at sirius.com. SIRIUS Radio U.S. service available only to those at least 18 years of age in the 48 contiguous United States, D.C. and Puerto Rico (with coverage limitations).
(10) Infinity is a registered trademark of Harman International Industries, Incorporated.
(11) For maximum protection, always wear your seat belt.
SOURCE Kia Motors America
More by this Source
Kia Racing Wins Round Two Of Pirelli World Challenge On The Streets Of Long Beach
Apr 14, 2014, 15:34 ET
Kia K900 And Soul Named "Must Test Drive" Vehicles For 2014 By AutoTrader.com
Apr 17, 2014, 06:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.