SAN DIEGO, June 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- For the second year in a row, KAABOO Del Mar is highlighting a robust presence of emerging talent and local artists who will perform throughout the three day event with already announced acts The Record Company, Judah and the Lion, Emily Warren and Frenship. Over on the Tourmaline Emerging Artist Stage is the place to see the latest and greatest up-and-comers to add to your playlists, including The Shelters, Dustbowl Revival, The Main Squeeze and many more (*full lineup below). Since the SoCal area is home to many noteworthy up-and-coming acts, KAABOO is thrilled to showcase some of these great acts from San Diego, Orange County and Los Angeles.
KAABOO in partnership with GigTown, also known as the "Uber for Music" app, is excited to present the KAABOO Discovery Tour. This unique program will tour three music venues and one comedy club along the coast this summer looking for the next big act. Four winning performances will get the coveted chance to perform at KAABOO, alongside nearly 80 previously announced entertainers in the lineup, including Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band, Aerosmith (in their only US performance this year), Jack Johnson (in his only scheduled appearance this year), and Fall Out Boy this September 16-18, 2016 in Del Mar (San Diego), CA.
For more information on the KAABOO Discovery Tour, or to submit your music or comedy act for this opportunity, visit https://www.kaaboodelmar.com/discovery-tour/.
"We're really excited to for year two of the Discovery Tour and KAABOO." Says Andy Altman, CEO and Founder of GigTown. "Unlike most major festivals, KAABOO is making a conscious effort to support Southern California's local music scene, and our partnership reflects those efforts. Together, we're going to showcase some awesome local talent leading up to and during KAABOO."
New this year, KAABOO is developing a local and emerging comedy element as part of the HUMOR ME lineup. Joining already announced Taylor Williamson, a local favorite who you may recognize from America's Got Talent, will be one additional comedian selected through the Discovery Tour. These comedians will be joining the notable lineup including The Cast of Silicon Valley (with T.J. Miller), Dana Carvey and many more.
Submissions will be accepted until June 23rd and all finalists will be confirmed by June 30th. Each music stop will host 4-5 acts with one winner selected from each venue to perform at KAABOO. The comedy stop will host 10-12 comedians with the selected winner receiving the opportunity to perform on KAABOO's HUMOR ME stage. Fan votes and industry judges at each event will determine the winners. Stay tuned for more information on where the tour will stop this summer & how you can VOTE for your favorites!
OFFICIAL KAABOO TOURMALINE STAGE LINEUP:
- THE SHELTERS: As one of Rock and Roll's best kept secrets, The Shelters will be releasing their self-titled debut LP coming June 10th on Warner Bros. Records. Just like the EP they released last October as an album preview, their full-length is a blast of Southern Californian rock and roll from a four-piece like they used to make them, when the factory was still up and running. Co-produced by Tom Petty, this album is not what you expected.
- DUSTBOWL REVIVAL: Featuring the sounds of Bluegrass, Swing, Hot jazz, Pre-war blues, Southern soul, and New Orleans funk The Dustbowl Revival is what you could call an American roots orchestra with eight full-time members. They play it all, mashing the sounds of traditional American music into a genre-hopping, time-bending dance party that coaxes new fire out of familiar coal.
- THE MAIN SQUEEZE: Seamlessly blending funk, soul and rock 'n' roll, The Main Squeeze promises to keep your body moving with their infectious, feel-good musical gumbo. Ben "Smiley" Silverstein (keys) and Max Newman (guitar), the two founding members of The Main Squeeze, first began writing music together after meeting at a sleepaway camp in upstate New York. After forming in 2010, the band is now based in Chicago, and is completed by frontman Corey Frye, drummer Reuben Gingrich and bassist Rob Walker. The band placed first at the International Jazz and Blues Competition in Macau, China, put their stamp on the Rolling Stone Super Bowl XLVI Pre-Party and graced the stages at some of the country's biggest music festivals.
- LEROY SANCHEZ: Leroy Sanchez always knew his powerful voice was a gift for self-expression: a means to channeling his unique creativity into something dynamic to be enjoyed by people all over the world. At age 15, Sanchez uploaded his first cover song on YouTube, and has since posted videos collecting upwards of 42 Million YouTube views from a legion of dedicated fans inspired by his passion for music, innate ability, and inherent charm. Now based in Los Angeles, California, Sanchez has been developing the foundation for his debut album.
- STOKESWOOD: Stokeswood is a marvel to watch, as they switch between instruments, giving up their spot on keys, synths and guitar like a game of musical chairs, all the while keeping up an irresistible, danceable backbone to the imaginative melodies and powerhouse, gut-wrenching vocals of Adam Patterson. The band undeniably owns the room with their unique unpredictable sound, expressive beats and high-energy presence.
- NANCARROW: This original Honky Tonk band from San Diego, CA is fronted by 27 year old, Graham Nancarrow. The band infuses raw energy and classic tones to create and perform their own unique brand of American song. In 2012, they were nominated for the Best Country/Americana act in San Diego Music Awards & again in 2014. In 2015 ''Simple Things" won Best Americana Album at SDMA'S
- THE WALCOTTS: Formed in 2012, this genre-bending Americana band from Los Angeles features two singers, a horn section, a fiddle player, a pedal steel guitarist, a pianist, and a rhythm section. Taking inspiration from more than a half century's worth of American traditions, their sound nods to the Band's folk-rock, Little Feat's swampy jazz, Bruce Springsteen's heartland anthems, and everything in between. The Walcotts will continue building upward in 2016, when their full-length debut — featuring co-writes with John Alagia (Dave Matthews, John Mayer) and some co-production by Ross Hogarth (John Mellencamp, Melissa Etheridge).
- SHAWN JONES: Shawn Jones is the epitome of American Blues/Roots/Rock music. He has proven over time that he has an international appeal and is true to form of his influences, spanning from all the greats in Rock, Rhythm & Blues, Jazz & Country. After being raised listening to Hank Williams, and growing up in the heartland of Southern California, he learned firsthand how to play and sing the blues.
- Three of the remaining spots will be reserved for KAABOO Discovery Tour Winners and the last three will be reserved for performance artists that will perform daily on that stage.
3-day passes are on sale now and can be purchased through KAABOODelMar.com/passes. Information on the enhanced experiences coming to KAABOO, as well as the featured contemporary art, food, craft libations and more is set to be announced this summer. For the most updated information, including the full music lineup, please visit the KAABOO website: www.KAABOODelMar.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
KAABOO is a three-day "mix-perience" and the perfect weekend escape, curated as a fully immersive live music experience without the rough qualities of a traditional outdoor event. It combines a diverse mix of music, high quality culinary offerings, the very best craft libations, visually inspiring art exhibitions, comedy, dancing and all of the indulgent amenities you could hope for, together in one place. Presented in partnership with Mercedes-Benz Dealers of San Diego County and located at the historic Del Mar Racetrack + Fairgrounds, just north of San Diego on the Southern California coast. In a unanimous decision from the board of directors of the 22nd DAA at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, the five year (with a 5 year extension) contract to hold KAABOO at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and Racetrack was approved on April 12, 2016, ensuring that KAABOO will be a fixture in Southern California for many years to come.
GigTown is the "Uber for Music" - allowing you to discover local musicians, see where they are playing around town, and easily hire them for events of your own. GigTown's mission is to support local music by seamlessly connecting artists, venues and music fans.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kicking-off-a-summer-of-music-discovery-in-southern-california-300278028.html
SOURCE KAABOO Del Mar