KRAFT Singles and Weber Team Up to Make Summer Grilling More Amazing
Partners Provide Tips, Tools and Recipes for the Perfect Backyard Barbeque
GLENVIEW, Ill., May 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- While outdoor barbeques may be one of America's favorite summer activities - 73 percent of consumers plan to fire up the grill this season - a national survey from KRAFT Singles reveals that cleaning the grill tops the list of dreaded household cleaning chores.* To help make summer grilling an amazing experience from start to finish, KRAFT Singles, America's favorite brand of American cheese has teamed up with Weber-Stephen Products LLC, the world's leading manufacturer of outdoor gas and charcoal grills.
"The perfect grilling experience really comes down to timing," says Kevin Kolman, Weber's grilling expert. "Something as simple as when you put the cheese on your burger, for example, can mean the difference between a quick clean-up or a daunting mess."
"The type of cheese is also key," adds Robin Ross, Associate Director of Kraft Kitchens. "KRAFT Singles are the perfect burger companion because of their quick, consistent melt and delicious taste."
According to the survey, about 80 percent of consumers who eat burgers top them with cheese. Experts at Kraft Kitchens and Weber suggest applying cheese just before the burger is removed from the grill for the perfect cheese melt and minimal clean-up. However, about one in four (24%) cheeseburger eaters add the cheese either after the burger is pulled from the grill or after the first flip. These methods can result in an uneven melt or cause the cheese to ooze down into the grates.
Kolman's Tips to Get a Grip on Grilling
- Keep It Clean: Cleaning the grill is incredibly simple when you follow the right steps. Start by heating the grill on high for 10 to 15 minutes to burn off leftover food debris, then brush grates clean with a steel stainless bristle brush.
- Oil Your Food, Not the Grates: To prevent sticking, apply oil directly to your proteins (especially chicken or fish). Oil not only aids in the caramelization process, but it creates a barrier between the food and the grates that makes flipping a breeze.
- Let it Be: Once the food is on the grill, keep the lid closed as much as possible to avoid losing heat. If the grill is constantly being opened, the food can take longer to cook and could potentially dry out.
- Be Patient: Let the food rest for at least 30 percent of the total time it was cooked to allow the juices to settle in. Cutting into your foods too soon can cause that delicious flavor to seep out.
Tasty Ideas from Kraft Kitchens
Aside from tips on how to make a less messy burger, Associate Director of Kraft Kitchens Robin Ross has ideas on how to add flare and flavor to your backyard barbeque.
- Follow the 80/20 Rule: The first step in making the perfect burger is to use quality ground meat that has some degree of fat (80/20) – the burger will be juicy and hold together well.
- Lighten Up: Break up your burger routine with something lean like chicken or fish. Pair your grilled chicken with KRAFT 2% Milk Singles or enjoy grilled salmon with freshly squeezed lemon juice and a side of seasonal vegetables.
- Try an Inside-Out Burger: Wow your guests with an unexpected stuffed burger. Shape your ground meat into thin patties – top half of them with finely chopped vegetables, a zesty sauce and cheese. Then cover with remaining patties and pinch edges together to seal the burger.
- Food Safety: Be conscious of how you're handling cooked and uncooked meat. Use clean, thoroughly washed platters and utensils when transferring cooked meat/fish off the grill.
Additional recipes and grilling inspiration are available at www.KraftSingles.com.
Get In On Some Great Deals
Consumers can find high-value savings, courtesy of KRAFT Singles, at grocery retailers nationwide May through August. Select retailers will also host parking lot barbeques and grill giveaways. Find local event details at www.Facebook.com/KraftSingles.
From May 17 through August 14, Americans can win top-of-the-line grilling essentials through one of three 30-day "Like2Win" Sweepstakes. Enter for a chance to win at the KRAFT Singles Facebook page. Throughout the summer, KRAFT Singles will give away nearly 3,000 Weber grills and 1,600 sets of Weber grill tools.
ABOUT KRAFT FOODS
Kraft Foods Inc. (NYSE: KFT) is a global snacks powerhouse with an unrivaled portfolio of brands people love. Proudly marketing delicious biscuits, confectionery, beverages, cheese, grocery products and convenient meals in approximately 170 countries, Kraft Foods had 2011 revenue of $54.4 billion. Twelve of the company's iconic brands – Cadbury, Jacobs, Kraft, LU, Maxwell House, Milka, Nabisco, Oreo, Oscar Mayer, Philadelphia, Tang and Trident – generate revenue of more than $1 billion annually. On Aug. 4, 2011, Kraft Foods announced plans to divide and create two independent public companies: a high-growth global snacks business and a high-margin North American grocery business. The transaction is expected to be completed before the end of 2012. A leader in innovation, marketing, health & wellness and sustainability, Kraft Foods is a member of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Standard & Poor's 500, Dow Jones Sustainability Index and Ethibel Sustainability Index. Visit www.kraftfoodscompany.com and www.facebook.com/kraftfoodscorporate.
ABOUT WEBER-STEPHEN PRODUCTS LLC
Weber-Stephen Products LLC, headquartered in Palatine, Ill., is the world's premier manufacturer of charcoal, gas and electric grills, grilling accessories and other outdoor room products. In 1952, founder George Stephen sparked a backyard revolution with his invention of the Weber® kettle. Almost 60 years later, the privately-held company remains the industry leader with its Weber®, Weber® Q®, and Ducane® brands. As a leading exporter of grills, Weber brand products are sold worldwide at DIY retailers, hardware stores, mass merchants, patio stores, supermarkets and online. Weber has the strongest consumer outreach program in the industry with its Weber Grill-Line(SM) (1-800-GRILL-OUT®); Weber's On The Grill™ mobile application; and a content-rich website with grilling tips, techniques, and original Weber recipes at www.weber.com®. Weber can also be followed on Facebook www.facebook.com/weberbbq) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/webergrills).
*Survey of 1,010 nationally representative Americans, ages 18 and older, conducted by Kelton on behalf of KRAFT Singles. When asked which cleaning chore they most dread among cleaning the grill, toilet, oven/stovetop, shower/tub, kitchen floor, microwave or don't know, 30 percent identified the grill, followed by the toilet (22%) and oven/stovetop (18%). When asked which one burger topping they could not do without among ketchup, onion, tomato, mustard, cheese, lettuce, bacon or don't know, 28 percent chose ketchup, followed by onion (19%) and tomato (14%). Options were rotated to avoid favorability.
SOURCE Kraft Foods Inc.; Weber-Stephen Products LLC