Lands' End: The Procrastination Destination 2011
Survey finds National Free Shipping Day a draw for last-minute shoppers.
Lands' End helps holiday procrastinators with toll-free hotline and E-Gift Cards.
DODGEVILLE, Wis., Dec. 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- While early holiday shopping numbers have been strong, many shoppers are reporting that they have been procrastinating. In a recent survey conducted by Lands' End, eight out of ten respondents (84 percent) still have gifts to purchase this holiday season. New data from the National Retail Federation (NRF) also found that shoppers are procrastinating. In fact, the NRF found that as of the second week of December the average person has 46.5 percent of their shopping completed, down from 49.5 percent at the same time last year. Lands' End is at the ready to help last-minute shoppers with its toll-free Procrastination Destination Hotline, world-class customer service, E-Gift Cards and free shipping on Dec. 16.
The Lands' End survey also found that holiday shopping procrastinators plan to take advantage of National Free Shipping Day, which this year takes place on Friday, Dec. 16. Overwhelmingly, three-quarters of respondents (78 percent) said they plan to shop on National Free Shipping Day. In comparison, 57 percent report they shopped on Black Friday and 62 percent on Cyber Monday. Eighty-nine percent also reported they were more likely to shop with retailers that offer free shipping on Dec. 16.
"Shoppers know they can turn to Lands' End to help with their holiday shopping, especially at the last minute," said Michele Casper, Director of Public Relations, Lands' End. "Our solutions for procrastinators now include new E-Gift Cards that shoppers can send directly to recipients via Facebook or email."
The Procrastination Destination
Lands' End offers shopping assistance and the company's legendary customer service to holiday procrastinators through its Procrastination Destination Hotline at 1-800-478-8508. Last-minute shoppers can call in anytime between now and Christmas Eve to receive gift suggestions and assistance from Lands' End's gifting gurus and holiday experts.
Shoppers can also send friends and family a Lands' End E-Gift Card in real time by visiting facebook.com/Landsend and clicking on the eGift Cards tab. Gift givers can choose to send the gift notification via Facebook, email or both in amounts from $10 to $100. The recipient will receive a code that they can redeem at landsend.com or Lands' End Shops at Sears throughout the country.
Present Procrastinators – Holiday Survey Results
More than half of respondents (56 percent) consider themselves holiday shopping procrastinators, up from 49 percent last year. In fact, 31 percent reported that they started their holiday shopping later this year than last year and 30 percent said they have less of their holiday shopping completed than they did at this time last year. Three out of five shoppers (60 percent) will wait until the week before Christmas to purchase the last gift on shopping lists, while more than 20 percent plan to purchase presents on Christmas Eve and even Christmas Day. Other survey highlights include:
- Half of respondents (51 percent) said they procrastinate because they are waiting for better deals and think the best is yet to come. Forty-five percent haven't had time to shop and a quarter (26 percent) didn't want to fight the crowds.
- One in six respondents (15 percent) reported that they like the thrill of last minute shopping.
- When asked what would help them avoid putting off holiday shopping, 55 percent said wish lists from family and friends, and 38 percent said taking a day off from work.
- Nearly a quarter of respondents (22 percent) said they will procrastinate no matter what.
- Of the 35 percent of respondents who said they started their holiday shopping earlier this year, 31 percent said it was because they are shopping more online. A quarter (25 percent) did so to take advantage of deals on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
- Half of respondents (51 percent) plan to purchase something for themselves while shopping for last-minute gifts.
- Respondents reported that their partner or spouse was the hardest person to shop for (46 percent). It's also the person they tend to shop for last (39 percent.)
Last-Minute Gift Ideas from HGTV's Emily Henderson
'Tis the season to Love Giving. When asked which of Santa's reindeer best describes their holiday shopping style, 45 percent said they shop for gifts from the heart, like Cupid.
This season, Lands' End has partnered with Emily Henderson, host of HGTV's "Secrets From a Stylist," to share her advice for heartfelt, last-minute gifts based on this year's gifting trends: Seasonally Simple; Sea Worthy Stripes; and Warm-hearted, Handcrafted.
1) Seasonally Simple: Sometimes gifts get over thought when the best gift is something simple, like a comfy robe. Emily's picks from Lands' End include:
- The Down Robe for women and men ($149.50) is super comfy and features 450 fill power down with a cozy, cotton flannel lining. Make it personal with a monogram on the pocket.
- Dream Chenille Throw, (on sale for $49.00). This is lounging luxury! It combines the cuddly softness of chenille with a generous size, 50" x 72", which fully wraps you in comfort.
2) Sea Worthy Stripes: Nautical-inspired items with chunky textures and bold stripes are always great gift ideas.
- The classic Mariner Knit Throw ($89.50) offers a classic touch to any room. It's reminiscent of hearty winters along the shores of Cape Cod.
- For great stocking stuffers, look no further than the Nautical Knit Skimmer Slippers ($49.50) for women, in bold stripes with an anchor embroidered on top.
3) Warm-hearted, Handcrafted: Giving handcrafted gifts just warms the heart. It's a huge trend this year and Lands' End has plenty of options.
- For kids of all ages, the Kenana Plush Penguin ($39.50) is handmade in Kenya from all-natural materials and a great stocking stuffer. For little kids, pair it with the Garden Green Stripe Sleeping Bag ($89.50), which also features a penguin applique.
- The exclusive – and addictive – Peppermint Crunch Cookies™ ($24.50) make a great locally made hostess gift, as do the English Butter Toffee ($24.50) and Sea Salt Caramels ($24.50).
- Don't forget Fido. Exclusive Oliver Bentleys Dog Biscuits with a pumpkin-nutmeg flavor are made in Savannah, Georgia ($19.50).
Holiday Services and Shopping Solutions
When it comes to services that would help complete holiday shopping tasks, respondents overwhelmingly chose free shipping (98 percent), followed by direct shipping to gift recipients (70 percent), gift wrapping (66 percent), personal shopping assistance (33 percent) and live customer service video chat (24 percent).
In addition to the Procrastination Destination Hotline, Lands' End offers a variety of other services to assist last-minute holiday shoppers, including expert advice from Lands' End Personal Shoppers via phone or Lands' End Live™ video chat and gift boxing and monogramming for just $6, as well as traditional and E-Gift Cards from $5 to $500. A Lands' End E-Gift Card is the fastest way to give a great gift – average delivery time is just 2 hours or less. Shoppers can add a personalized message and send it via email straight to the recipient's inbox – even on Christmas Day.
Lands' End orders placed by Dec. 20 on in-stock items, at standard shipping and handling, will arrive in time for Christmas. Monogrammed or hemmed items will make tree time when ordered by Dec. 16. Present procrastinators can order in-stock items by Dec. 22 for an added shipping fee.
Best of all, Lands' End holiday gifts come with the company's heralded return policy – Guaranteed. Period.® If the recipient is not satisfied with the gift, simply return it to Lands' End at any time for an exchange or refund of its purchase price.
About Lands' End
Lands' End® is a classic American lifestyle brand with a passion for quality, legendary service, real value and a simple two-word promise to stand behind everything it sells: Guaranteed. Period.® Lands' End delivers timeless style for Men, Women, Kids and the Home at landsend.com, 1-800-800-5800, the Lands' End Shops at Sears and around the world. Lands' End is a proud member of Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ: SHLD).
 "Survey Finds Consumers Have Only Scratched The Surface With Holiday Shopping." National Retail Federation. Dec. 14, 2011. http://www.nrf.com/modules.php?name=News&op=viewlive&sp_id=1277.
www.landsend.com or facebook.com/LandsEnd
SOURCE Lands' End