Lands' End Shares Tips to Turn Spring Break Into Family Fun
From swimwear to suitcases, Lands' End Kids packs style and quality into spring break travel
DODGEVILLE, Wis., March 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- After months of the winter doldrums, kids really look forward to spring break adventures. This spring, the experts at Lands' End share tips to make packing and planning fun for parents and kids.
From clothing and swimwear to shoes and accessories, Lands' End has all the gear kids need to pack their spring break suitcase – including the suitcase. Todd Christiansen, Lands' End Kids divisional merchandising manager, shares the following tips to help parents and kids dive into spring break packing.
A few weeks before departure, engage kids and build anticipation for the trip with planning sessions. Spend time together researching the weather and activities at the destination. This research will be helpful when it comes time to pack. Instead of waiting until the last minute to throw things into a suitcase, parents can set aside time before the trip to discuss the forecast with their kids and let them use that knowledge to help select their outfits. It's also a good idea to try everything on one last time. Kids grow, so make sure clothing fits before you go. Other tips from Christiansen include:
Tip #1: Choose items that do double duty.
"Pack lightly" is a phrase that doesn't always work when packing for kids. To help minimize the load, look for pieces that are comfortable enough for everyday wear, but can be easily dressed up when needed.
- Polos: Polos are a perfect vacation staple that offer parents and kids plenty of options. The new Vintage Mesh Polo (from $19) for boys and girls is a classic style that transitions easily from day to night when paired with kids' favorite shorts and a favorite pair of chinos or a skirt.
- Swimwear: Swimwear styles in UPF 50, quick-dry fabrics make it easy and comfortable for kids to stay in their suits all day long. UPF 50 (the highest possible sun protection rating) also helps keep kids safe from harmful UV rays. Look for board shorts for boys and SwimMinis™ that double as a skirt for girls. Pair with a rash guard or tee shirt and kids are ready for fun in the sun.
- Cover-ups: A stylish cover-up can be a girl's (and mom's) best friend. The Embroidered Tunic Cover-up ($29) and Flower Neck Cover-up ($29) are styled with details similar to girls' favorite dresses. Both can be slipped over a swimsuit for a quick change. For boys, Graphic Rash Guards with UPF 50 sun protection (from $25) double as their favorite tee with cool, vintage-inspired Hawaiian surf patterns.
Tip #2: Bag the best beach essentials.
If the beach or a pool is part of your spring break plans, it's important to pack all the essentials for fun in the sun. Families with itineraries dominated by water-related activities can avoid the unpleasantness of wearing wet swimwear by packing two, or even three, suits for each kid. Don't forget to keep sunscreen and plenty of water in your beach bag.
- Sun protection: All Lands' End Kids' swimwear features UPF 50 for extra protection. Rash guards, cover-ups, sun hats and sunglasses can also help to keep kids' skin shaded.
- High-quality swimwear: High-quality materials and details help swimwear last through repeated use in pools and salty ocean water. Look for quick-drying fabrics, modesty linings that prevent peek-through and adjustable features that give kids room to grow.
- Beach Towels: Beach Towels ($17 - $25) in fun patterns and seafaring prints are a great way for kids to express their personalities. Available in two sizes, Lands' End Kids' beach towels are monogrammable and rated UPF 50 for additional UV protection.
- Accessories: Don't be afraid to let kids have a little fun with their swimwear and outfits. Lands' End offers a complete collection of coordinated beach accessories including cover-ups, hats, sunglasses and goggles. The new Hula Skirt ($29) is a perfect way to get girls in a tropical state of mind.
Tip #3: Focus on feet.
Kids will have a hard time enjoying a visit to the zoo or museum if their feet hurt. Parents should choose footwear styles that are well suited to their vacation activities – even if it means packing an extra pair.
- Sandals: With comfy footbeds and slip-resistant soles, Action Sandals ($30) from Lands' End keep kids steady on their feet on the pier, at the museum and everywhere in between.
- Water shoes: Lands' End water shoes feature easy-draining soles and mesh uppers. This helps them drain and dry fast for a quick transition from the beach to sightseeing.
- Walking shoes: Parents who plan to walk a lot during the trip will want to pack kids a comfortable, everyday style. For boys, the Mainstay Boat Shoe ($50) is a great style with plenty of personality. For girls, check out the Teagan Canvas Slip-on ($40).
Tip #4: Prepare for unexpected weather.
It's not always sunny in paradise. Keep the weather from raining on your parade by coming prepared with a lightweight jacket that will protect kids from rain and cold. If possible, choose a packable style that slips easily into a purse or backpack.
- Navigator® Packable Rain Jacket ($35): This waterproof, lightweight style is a great addition to any vacation suitcase. It conveniently folds into a self-storing pouch for easy packing.
Tip #5: Select a superior suitcase.
It's no secret that luggage takes a beating, and kids are known for being rough on their stuff. Start by choosing luggage that is appropriately sized for pint-sized travelers. Then look for high-quality details such as lightweight, durable fabrics, telescoping handles and in-line skate wheels, to help it last trip after trip.
- Luggage for life's little journeys: The First ClassMate® line of travel luggage is specifically designed and tested for kids. The collection includes duffels, wheeled uprights and backpack styles. Each is sized to fit standard overhead storage, includes a travel kit that meets TSA guidelines and features interior and exterior pockets to keep kids organized.
To assist with spring break packing preparations, Lands' End is hosting its first ever Swim Event. Shoppers can visit landsend.com or the Lands' End Shops at Sears from Friday, March 16, to Monday, March 19, for 25 percent off all regular-price swimwear, water shoes, sandals, totes and beach towels.
About Lands' End
Lands' End® is a classic American lifestyle brand with a passion for quality, legendary service, real value and a simple two-word promise to stand behind everything it sells: Guaranteed. Period.® Lands' End delivers timeless style for Men, Women, Kids and the Home at landsend.com, 1-800-800-5800, the Lands' End Shops at Sears and around the world. Lands' End is a proud member of Sears Holdings Corporation (NASDAQ: SHLD).
SOURCE Lands' End
More by this Source
Lands' End Unveils Its New Coastal Living Body Care Collection
Jan 28, 2014, 13:58 ET
Lands' End Gift Cards and E-Gift Cards - Perfect for Gift Givers and Recipients
Dec 18, 2013, 14:39 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.