Lantiq and Altair Semiconductor Collaborate to Bring Broadband Wireless LTE to Home Gateways Combining Lantiq's premier home network processors with Altair Semiconductor's commercial LTE chipset speeds time-to-market for LTE CPE equipment
MUNICH and HOD HASHARON, Israel, Sept. 26, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Lantiq, a leading supplier of broadband access and home networking technologies, and Altair Semiconductor, a leading developer of ultra-low power, small footprint and high performance 4G LTE chipsets, today announced that Altair's LTE chipset will be used for the Lantiq XWAY™ GRX family of network processors, speeding development of LTE-ready home gateways.
Impact of Collaboration
- Worldwide rollout of mobile LTE will make high-speed broadband connectivity available to previously underserved residential subscribers. Gateway equipment providers can quickly integrate support for the next-generation wireless standard into customer premise equipment.
- Equipment manufacturers can quickly deploy field-proven LTE-ready systems; the Altair FourGee-3100/6200 is a 3GPP LTE chipset that offers both TDD and FDD capabilities and has been extensively tested for interoperability with all leading infrastructure solutions.
- Lantiq's broad network processor portfolio and Altair's FourGee chipset allow OEMs/ODMs to develop a variety of LTE CPE equipment, from simple LTE bridge modems up to multiservice LTE gateways, optimized for different regional market requirements in Europe, Asia and the Americas.
- Lantiq's connectivity and voice product portfolio, including Fast/Gigabit-Ethernet, WLAN, FXS, DECT/CAT-iq solutions, complements the system offering allowing customers to build LTE gateways from pure data-only gateways up to high-end LTE gateways, including voice.
- Altair's software driver and Lantiq's Universal Gateway (UGW) firmware will speed up the system integration at OEMs/ODMs and will allow faster time-to-market.
- Lantiq's XWAY™ GRX network processors and Altair's FourGee LTE chipset are available today, tested and field proven.
- The joint system solution is planned for Q1 2012.
Infonetics Research: "The LTE market offers the highest growth rates in the wireless sector with subscribers growing at a CAGR of 217% from 2010 to 2015. Just in 2011, LTE subscribers are expected to grow by over 600% from last year, indicating deployments are beginning to accelerate," said Richard Webb, Directing Analyst, Microwave and Small Cells at Infonetics Research. "Carriers will need high-function LTE gateways to manage dense deployments of small cells required to support new high-capacity services, address broadband white spots as well as competing against fixed-line broadband services."
Altair Semiconductor: "It has long been recognized that LTE will be an important option for delivering broadband service to both fixed sites as well as mobile users," said Eran Eshed, Co-Founder and VP of Marketing and Business Development for Altair Semiconductor. "The combination of Lantiq's innovative XWAY GRX family and their system solution expertise with our 4G chipsets helps to accelerate the deployment of LTE-enabled devices in markets around the world, allowing operators to provide their users with an extraordinary experience."
Lantiq: "We see growing demand in LTE gateways in both emerging markets as well as in established markets. Our joint solution with Altair enable customers to perfectly tailor their systems towards the specific requirements of these markets by adding Ethernet, Wi-Fi connectivity, DECT/CAT-iq or standard voice solutions," said Ulrich Huewels, senior vice president and general manager of Lantiq's CPE business. "Through the cooperation with Altair Semiconductor, we extend our offering to the emerging wireless broadband market and enable our customers to leverage their GRX-based software investment to easily upgrade their systems to LTE gateways."
Product Picture available here.
About Altair Semiconductor
Altair Semiconductor is a world leading developer of ultra-low power, small footprint and high performance 4G semiconductors. Altair's chipsets can be found in approximately 30 end-user devices – ranging from USB dongles to smartphones – built by its more than 15 customers across North America, Europe, China, India and Taiwan – making it one of the only TDD/FDD LTE chipset manufacturers in the world with commercially available products. Altair's comprehensive product portfolio includes baseband processors, multi-band RF transceivers for both FDD and TDD bands, and a range of reference hardware and product level protocol stack software. Based on a novel, proprietary Software Defined Radio (SDR) processor, codenamed "O2P™", Altair's products are the smallest and most highly power optimized in the industry, offering an unmatched combination of flexibility and performance. For more information, visit the company's website at www.altair-semi.com. Follow Altair on Twitter: @AltairSemi
Lantiq offers a broad and innovative product portfolio for next-generation networks and the digital home. The company specializes in broadband communications encompassing analog, digital and mixed-signal ICs along with comprehensive software suites. Lantiq is a fabless company and its semiconductor solutions are deployed by major carriers and in home networks in every region of the world. Further information is available at: www.lantiq.com or on Twitter: @Lantiq.