JOHANNESBURG, Nov. 12, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Global Sources (NASDAQ: GSOL) opened its sixth annual Global Sources Exhibition South Africa today in Johannesburg connecting African buyers with quality suppliers from Greater China. Held at Johannesburg Expo Centre, Nasrec, the show will run until Nov. 14.
Buyers will be able to source a range of products including electronics, gifts & premiums, home products, fashion accessories, fabrics and apparel, and hardware and building materials across 400 booths.
Trade volume between China and Africa is expected to double by 2020. China has already become Africa's biggest economic partner with trade expected to reach US$400 billion by 2020, up from US$200 billion in 2013.
"Africa's trade with China continues to expand. Sustained demand for China-made consumer goods is playing an increasingly important role in African retail markets -- providing consumers with more choices for quality products," said Spenser Au, CEO of Global Sources.
"Global Sources is strategically positioned to facilitate this accelerating trade relationship between both continents. Our show in Johannesburg is an ideal platform for business people in South Africa and throughout continental Africa to meet directly with manufacturers and find the right products for their home markets."
Statistics indicated that the number of middle class households in 11 key sub-Saharan African countries is expected to triple to 22 million by 2030, creating a burgeoning consumer market.
Officially opening the event today were:
- Xue Xiaofeng, Party Secretary of the Zhongshan Municipal CPC Committee, Zhongshan Municipal People's Government, the People's Republic of China
- Mai Xinquan, Consul, Consulate General of the People's Republic of China in Johannesburg
- Uhuru Moiloa, Deputy Governor and Deputy Speaker, Gauteng Provincial Legislature, Republic of South Africa
- Willie van der Schyf, Councillor, City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality
- Alwyn Smith, CEO, Southern African Alternative Energy Association (SAAEA)
- Wendy Lai, Vice President, Global Sources Exhibitions, Global Sources
The show has been endorsed by government and industry organizations including:
- Department of Commerce of Guangdong Province
- Bureau of Commerce of Zhongshan City
- Bureau of Commerce of Dongguan City
- Jiangmen Bureau of Commerce
- Yangjiang Bureau of Commerce
- China Council for the Promotion of International Trade Hebei Sub-Council
- China Council for the Promotion of International Trade Tianjin Sub-Council
- China Foreign Trade Guangzhou Exhibition General Corporation
- Capital City Business Chamber (South Africa)
- Durban Chamber of Commerce & Industry (South Africa)
- Southern African Alternative Energy Association
The show will also feature a comprehensive conference program with experts explaining how to identify, evaluate and select the best suppliers for buyers. Other topics include how to run China sourcing program in Africa and supply chain strategies.
The Global Sources Exhibition South Africa is exclusively for importers, traders and other volume buyers who purchase consumer products for resale to markets throughout Africa. In 2014, more than 7,000 professional buyers from South Africa and neighboring countries attended the event.
More details about the show are available at http://www.globalsources.com/exhibitions/southafrica.
More information about Global Sources is available on the company's corporate site (http://www.corporate.globalsources.com), Facebook and Twitter (/globalsources).
About Global Sources
Global Sources is a leading business-to-business media company and a primary facilitator of trade with Greater China.
The core business facilitates trade between Asia and the world using English-language media such as online marketplaces (GlobalSources.com), magazines, apps, private sourcing events, and trade shows.
More than 1 million international buyers, including 95 of the world's top 100 retailers, use these services to obtain product and company information to help them source more profitably from overseas supply markets. These services also provide suppliers with integrated marketing solutions to build corporate image, generate sales leads and win orders from buyers in more than 240 countries and territories.
Now in its fifth decade, Global Sources has been publicly listed on the NASDAQ since 2000.
SOURCE Global Sources