IRVINE, Calif., April 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that Lava International Limited, one of the region's fastest growing mobile device providers, selected Broadcom's quad-core HSPA+ turnkey platform for Lava's newly released QPAD e704 tablet. Powered by Broadcom's 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, RF transceiver, power management IC, connectivity combo chip and multi-constellation GNSS location chip, the proven Broadcom platform enabled Lava to produce an affordable feature-rich tablet with the advanced connectivity and entertainment capabilities demanded by today's consumer. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
In one of the world's most thriving economies, tablet sales in India exceeded $2B in revenues in 2013 as demand for lightweight computing devices continues to rise1. Lava's QPAD is well positioned for the burgeoning market, enabling high-quality gaming, entertainment and web-browsing experiences. Broadcom's turnkey connectivity platform optimizes power consumption in the QPAD tablet, enabling longer battery life and an increase in standby and run times. Lava leverages Broadcom silicon throughout its broad product portfolio that encompasses tablets, feature phones and smartphones and was chosen by consumers as one of the leading Indian Power Brands of 2013.2
"When choosing a connectivity platform for QPAD, we had two key requirements—it must provide users with the full range of capabilities they would expect, and do so at an affordable price point," said S.N. Rai, Lava International Co-founder and Director. "Broadcom's innovative platform met these requirements, allowing us to get to market quickly with a high-end tablet without the high-end price tag."
"Tablet sales in emerging markets such as India are driving continued demand for our affordable turnkey connectivity platform solutions," said Rafael Sotomayor, Broadcom Vice President, Mobile Platform Solutions. "By combining our powerful quad-core solution and leading connectivity suite, leading OEMs like Lava are changing the landscape of India's tablet market by meeting consumer demand for advanced features at an affordable price."
Key Features of the Lava QPAD Tablet
- Powerful 1.2 GHz quad-core processor with Videocore GPU for full HD 1080P videos
- 7-inch IPS display with 1024 x 600 resolution
- 3500 mAh battery with 24 hours standby and six hours playback
- Accurate location fix with dual navigation technologies
- Key Features of the Broadcom Turnkey Platform
- BCM23550 HSPA+ 1.2-GHz quad-core processor
- Provides superior computing power at an affordable price point
- VideoCore® GPU with multimedia support for an immersive multimedia experience
- Low power Dual SIM / Dual Standby to enable simultaneous monitoring of 2 separate networks
- RF Transceiver
- Highly integrated RF cellular transceiver for multi-mode (EDGE/GPRS/GSM® and WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA) and multi-band (850/900/1800/1900/2100 MHz) applications
- Power Management IC
- Two fully integrated, programmable, step-down switching regulators with overcurrent and overvoltage protection
- Six high-performance programmable Low Dropout (LDO) regulators with overcurrent protection
- Connectivity Combo Chip
- Dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity
- Single-stream IEEE 802.11n support for 20 MHz and 40 MHz channels provides PHY layer rates up to 150 Mbps for typical upper-layer throughput in excess of 90 Mbps
- Multi-constellation GNSS Location Chip
- Multi-constellation capability collects data from four satellite constellations
- Faster signal searches and more accurate real-time navigation
The Lava QPAD tablet smartphone is now available to consumers in India. Broadcom's quad-core turnkey platform is now available in volume production.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo and VideoCore® are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless