Leading educator warns thousands of students will shun the new SAT in favor of the ACT.

Who wants to be a crash test dummy?

23 Feb, 2016, 08:00 ET from PrepMatters, Inc.

BETHESDA, Md., Feb. 23, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- On March 5, 2016, College Board will administer the redesigned SAT across the United States.   The question is – will students show up to take the test? 

"All signs point to no," said Ned Johnson, President and tutor-geek, PrepMatters, Inc. "Many test prep organizations are seeing students register for the ACT over the revised SAT -- 3 to 1, in fact.  Locally, we are seeing an even wider margin. As the College Board prepares for its March redesigned test launch, I predict it will be a bust. Students describe the new SAT as a 'wannabe ACT.'  With its changes, the new SAT has no clear identity that's compelling to kids.  It's a changing test creating uncertainty and doubt."

Ned will be among many professional tutors taking the revised SAT in March. Parents fear the influx of tutors will kill the curve, and student scores will suffer: "If phones were permitted, I'd be tweeting the whole experience."

"College Board promised eight practice SATs, but they've only given students four.  Who wants to take the test you cannot fully prepare for? And who wants to be a crash test dummy?  Similarly, while College Board promised to distribute PSAT scores in December, they were returned to students at the end of January.  By that time, many students had already decided to take the ACT," said Johnson.

PrepMatters is a leading tutoring, test preparation and college planning company both in the Washington, DC area and globally.  For two decades, PrepMatters has provided more than 200,000 hours of tutoring in a one-on-one setting.  PrepMatters has been featured in The New York Times, Time Magazine, Newsweek, Seventeen Magazine, U.S. News & World Report, and on NPR.

SOURCE PrepMatters, Inc.



RELATED LINKS

http://www.prepmatters.com