HOUSTON, Dec. 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With holiday season upon us, millions of Americans are stringing lights, hanging ornaments and illuminating décor, both inside and outside of the home. Decorating your home should be fun and enjoyable, but it's important to remember that your favorite holiday décor could pose serious hazards, like fire or electrical injury, if proper precautions are not taken.
Make your home merry, bright and safe by following these tips:
- Use good quality light sets. A good quality light set should be sturdy with a minimum of 22 gauge (awg) wiring, no loose connectors, and have fuses at the plug to protect against overheating.
- Test your lights and check cords for damage. It's always a good idea to plug in your lights before you hang them to look for bad bulbs and frayed cords.
- Use lights, extension cords and surge protectors that are specifically rated for outdoor use when hanging lights outdoors. You'll know they are outdoor-approved by clearly marked labels and tags.
- Limit the length of your light strings. Many holiday light manufacturers advise connecting no more than three strings of incandescent lights together. LED light sets can be longer, but it's important to avoid running extension cords, wires or strings of lights across driveways, sidewalks, stairs, or anywhere they could present a tripping hazard.
- Take proper safety precautions when using a ladder to string lights. Safe ladder usage means setting the ladder on stable ground and about one foot away from the wall for every four feet the ladder reaches up.
- Use a timer to ensure that your lights and other decorations are only lit between sundown and bedtime. This will help illuminated décor from overheating.
For more safety tips, questions about your holiday décor, or generic help with your electrical system, contact your local Mister Sparky. Also, watch this video featuring Mike Rowe and electricians from Mister Sparky for more holiday lighting tips.
ABOUT MISTER SPARKY
Mister Sparky® is ranked by Entrepreneur magazine as the No. 1 electrical franchise in the magazine's annual Franchise 500 (January 2016.) Our trusted professionals offer customers on-time electrical services, replacement and repairs done right the first time with courtesy, convenience, cleanliness, competence and character. Mister Sparky is part of the Direct Energy family of brands.
©2016 Clockwork IP, LLC
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/leading-electrical-company-offers-holiday-safety-tips-300374950.html
SOURCE Mister Sparky