Leading Government Affairs Lawyer Jeffrey W. Munk Joins Baker Botts New Partner to Enhance Government Relations Practice in Firm's Washington Office
WASHINGTON, Jan. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Jeffrey W. Munk, who built a leading government affairs practice representing clients on tax, energy and transportation issues, joined Baker Botts L.L.P. today as a partner in the firm's Washington office.
"Jeff will be a central part of the growth and further development of our Government Relations practice, where he will have primary responsibility for Congressional affairs," said Baker Botts Managing Partner Andrew M. Baker.
Munk has designed and led major lobbying campaigns for international businesses, trade associations and non-profits, and represented clients on a wide-range of legislative issues during his legal career. He has also successfully developed and managed complex legal and lobbying initiatives in the fields of tax, energy and transportation policy.
Munk joins Baker Botts after spending 16 years at Hogan Lovells in Washington. Previously, he served as Legislative Counsel for U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas).
Jamie Baker, Partner in Charge of Baker Botts' Washington office, said: "We are very pleased to welcome Jeff to the firm, and we are excited about the new capabilities he brings to Baker Botts."
Munk's experience includes:
- Developing and successfully advocating for the enactment of a tax regime for fractional ownership business aviation companies;
- Expanding the statute authorizing the Department of Energy loan guarantee program to cover advanced technology manufacturing in the United States by international auto manufacturers;
- Leading the effort to prevent a one-size-fits-all proposed regulation from applying new flight duty rules to cargo airline pilots;
- Expanding the manufacturing tax deduction to include oil refining; and
- Counseling an offshore financial association on U.S. extra-territorial taxation and banking laws.
Munk is a graduate of the Syracuse University College of Law (J.D.) and the Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M.).
His work regarding the appropriations process helped fund an early reading program for Dallas pre-school children and extended engineering education curriculum to Texas high schools. He serves on the Board of Trustees of The Washington Chorus, a Grammy Award-winning symphonic chorus that performs regularly at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
About Baker Botts L.L.P. Baker Botts is an international law firm with over 725 lawyers and a network of 14 offices around the globe. Based on our experience and knowledge of our clients' industries, we are recognized as a leading firm in the energy, technology and life sciences sectors. Throughout our 172-year history, we have provided creative and effective legal solutions for our clients while demonstrating an unrelenting commitment to excellence. For more information, please visit www.bakerbotts.com.
SOURCE Baker Botts L.L.P.