LEGO Systems Rolls Into the Game Aisle With Launch of Premium Constructible Board Games - World's leading construction toy brand introduces a new way to play that builds game nights to new heights -
NEW YORK, Feb. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- American International Toy Fair -- LEGO Systems, Inc., the North American division of the world's leading construction toy brand, announced today that it will take its play pattern and values into a new toy category with 10 premium constructible board games. Each of the 10 LEGO Games leverages classic board game play of guessing, strategy, memory, logic and chance to offer a new way to play with the construction toy brand. The first five LEGO Games are due to release online on March 1, and all 10 will be available August 1 in the board game aisle at retail.
LEGO Games cater to a wide range of purchase and play occasions, ages, play types and price points. Each game provides everything needed to start building and playing right out of the box, including a customizable LEGO dice and separate building and game play instructions. LEGO Games are designed to be a new game every time they are played, encouraging children of all ages to build the game differently or change the rules and dice to keep game play fresh and exciting.
"The strong momentum we have in our U.S. business allows us to expand beyond the construction category to bring a decidedly LEGO twist to board games," said Soren Torp Laursen, president, LEGO Systems. "When we look for ways to reinterpret the LEGO play experience, they must be obviously LEGO brand but never seen before, which LEGO Games delivers in a big way. We believe we will introduce our passionate fans to a new way to play with the brand while also recruiting new fans – and families – to LEGO play."
"The fusion of a trusted brand with compelling game play is a winning combination for a category that traditionally sees little innovation," says renowned strategy game developer Reiner Knizia, who consulted with the company on development of the games. "With a variety of game types, buildable game boards and changeable rules, no two LEGO Games experiences are ever the same."
Beginning in March, five LEGO Games will be available for sale in select toy, discount merchandise and specialty online stores, including:
- Monster 4 - The first player to get four of their monsters in a row wins. Every roll of the LEGO dice brings a chance to move a monster, displace another player's monsters or send the giant spider in to clear some space. SRP $14.99
- Lava Dragon - Players must prove they are the bravest knight by being the first to climb the volcano and summon the mighty dragon. Along the way, each roll of the LEGO dice helps players to climb, block opponents, avoid lava or knock opponents off the volcano! This exciting game of strategy and luck is never the same game twice. SRP $14.99
- Pirate Code - Players must be the first to guess their opponents' secret treasure codes before theirs is revealed to take the title of pirate captain. In this game of logic, luck, secrets and treasures, players can set their own code of jewels in their treasure chest so the game is different every time. SRP $19.99
- Minotaurus - Players must be the first to lead their three heroes to the temple, avoiding the Minotaur and cleverly placing walls to block their opponents. By changing the LEGO dice, players can jump hedges, and by re-building the maze, every game is a new adventure. This game of chance and strategy is great fun for the whole family. SRP $24.99
- Creationary - Players roll the LEGO dice to select one of four exciting building categories: vehicles, buildings, nature or things. Three levels of difficulty give players a chance to show off their creative building skills so that others can guess what is being created. A great game for family and friends to test their imagination, creativity, building and guessing skills. SRP $34.99
All LEGO Games will be widely available in the board game aisles of toy, discount merchandise and specialty stores nationwide. Joining the five launching in March are:
- Robo Champ - The first player to build a robot with all the correct color parts will win the trophy and be named Robo Champ! Each roll of the LEGO dice brings a chance to collect the parts needed or grab them from other players to finish the bot and take the trophy! SRP $9.99
- Magikus - With the help of the owl, players race to be the first to collect the four special ingredients to cast the magical spell. Each roll of the LEGO dice brings a new chance to collect new ingredients or grab the ones needed from opponents to win. SRP $9.99
- Race 3000 - Players must show that they have what it takes to cross the finish line first and take the trophy! Along the way, players must use shortcuts, overtake or turbo boost past their opponents and change lanes to avoid oil slicks. Players can build a new track and change the LEGO dice each time they play so no two races are ever the same! SRP $19.99
- Hogwarts™ - Between the moving staircase & secret passages at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, it can be tricky for players to find their way around Harry Potter's school. The first player to successfully navigate the magical castle to collect all of their homework from their classes and get back to the common area is the winning wizard. SRP $29.99
- Ramses Pyramid - Players must unlock the crystal coded layers to climb to the top of the pyramid and defeat the Mummy King Ramses before he takes over Egypt, taking his crown and the treasures buried deep within. In this family game of memory, skill and cunning, players can compete against each other or team up to dethrone King Ramses! Created in cooperation with renowned strategy game developer, Reiner Knizia. SRP $29.99
For more information, visit http://games.lego.com or follow LEGO Games on Facebook at facebook.com/legogames.
LEGO Systems Inc. (LSI) is the Americas division of the LEGO Group, a privately-held firm based in Billund, Denmark that is the world's leading manufacturer of construction toys. The company is committed to the development of children's creative and imaginative abilities through high-quality, creatively educational play materials, and its employees are guided by the motto adopted in the 1930s by founder Ole Kirk Christiansen: "Only the best is good enough." For more information, visit www.LEGO.com
LEGO, the LEGO logo and the minifigure are trademarks of the LEGO Group. ©2010 The LEGO Group.
SOURCE LEGO Systems, Inc.