ATLANTA, Aug. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Ten finalists in this year's Brawny Industrial® brand Great American Worker contest have been selected by a panel of judges and now have moved on to the contest's community voting phase, scheduled from July 26-Sept. 20, 2013. During this phase, the finalists' friends, family, co-workers and everyone interested in taking part in the contest can cast their vote for the Grand Prize Winner at www.brawnyindustrialgaw.com.
Online voting is quick and easy. One vote per day is allowed, and each vote earns the voter a Sweepstakes entry for the chance to win one First Prize, a DeWALT® Combo Kit (ARV $279), or $70 worth of Georgia-Pacific products for 25 Second Prize Winners.
"This year's finalists are amazing examples of commitment, dedication, and leadership," said Alex Volpe, Georgia-Pacific Professional vice president – towel and wiper category. "This phase of the contest is where momentum really builds, where everyone has a chance to learn more about the finalists and win great prizes. It's an exciting time, and makes us very proud to be the sponsors of this great celebration of America's workers who are making a difference on the job and in their communities."
In October 2013, the contestant with the highest final score will be announced as the year's Great American Worker and will receive a new Ford® F-150. Here are this year's finalists:
- Ryan Oberle, a homicide detective from Freeland, Mich., has streamlined how tips come into the department. He also has developed a child abduction response team for the state.
- Robert Chumley owns a Dallas, Ga., paving company that has been in his family for generations. Robert works in 100-degree heat or freezing temperatures to get the job done.
- Penelope Graben, a veterinary technician from Ft. Walton Beach, Fla., helps create a calm environment for animals, their caregivers and friends. She is also a horse rescue volunteer.
- Clint Spejcher, a construction safety worker from Suamico, Wis., teaches thousands of construction workers that faster is not always better or safer. He is also a volunteer firefighter.
- Richard Bayle, a construction/contractor from Vero Beach, Fla., oversees base housing for military personnel. He also created a program to help Floridians whose homes are hurricane-damaged.
- John High, a barn saver from Narvon, Pa., dismantles and blueprints old barns and buildings so they may be reconstructed in new locations. He makes safety a priority by encouraging workers to think and analyze before taking action.
- Jeffrey Stewart, a utility lineman from Athol, Mass., believes in putting safety first in his work with a large utility company. He also is active with the Masonic Lodge and their charities in his community.
- Kerry Patterson, a gate manufacturer from Coarsegold, Calif., invented a special fabrication table to help his employees be comfortable and productive. He also teaches welding to high school students.
- Adam Walton, an aircraft mechanic from Shreveport, La., is indispensable to pilots who trust him to keep their planes safe. He has served in the U.S. Air Force and is a repeat Boston Marathoner.
- James Wolfe, a delivery driver from Minden, Iowa, prides himself on being a safe and courteous driver. A pancreatic cancer survivor, he also takes time to visit those struggling with the illness.
After the contest's call for entries in March 2013, candidates submitted brief essays about their work and community involvement—how they go over and above what's necessary to keep our country moving every day, while also achieving a good work/life balance. Read the finalists' essays and see their photos at www.brawnyindustrialgaw.com/Gallery. The Brawny Industrial® brand Great American Worker contest is an annual Georgia-Pacific Professional program saluting the efforts of the unsung heroes of American industry and recognizing their dedication to safety, productivity, and community involvement.
No purchase is necessary to enter the Brawny Industrial® Great American Worker Contest & Sweepstakes. The contest began March 5, 2013, at noon Eastern time, and ends September 20, 2013, at 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern time. The Contest Submission Phase started March 5, 2013, at noon Eastern time and ended July 7, 2013, at 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern time. Sweepstakes started July 26, 2013, 12:00 a.m. Eastern time and ends September 20, 2013, at 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern time. Click on Official Rules for submission/entry instructions, odds of winning, prize details, eligibility restrictions, etc. Open to eligible legal residents of 50 U.S. states/D.C. who are 18 years or older at time of entry. Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited. Sponsor: Georgia-Pacific Consumer Products LP. Subject to Official Rules.
ABOUT GEORGIA-PACIFIC PROFESSIONAL
Georgia-Pacific Professional is a provider of hygienic dispensing systems, towels, tissues, soaps, air fresheners, wipers, cups, plates, cutlery and napkins. We serve a wide range of market segments, providing washroom, wiper and foodservice solutions for office buildings, education, healthcare, restaurant, lodging and manufacturing facilities through well-known product brands like enMotion®, Compact®, Dixie®, EasyNap®, SmartStock®, and Brawny Industrial®. For more information about Georgia-Pacific Professional, please call 1-866-HELLO GP (435-5647) or visit us at www.gppro.com.
GP Professional. Experience better™.