Lights, Camera, Action! Macworld/iWorld 2013 Puts the Spotlight on Filmmaking iPhone Film Festival, education sessions, products, and special events with Fred Armisen and the Independent Film Channel celebrate the next generation of film and television
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- IDG World Expo today announced a full agenda of film education and special events that showcase the evolution in movie making made possible by Apple technologies at Macworld/iWorld 2013 (Twitter: @MacworldExpo; Event hashtag: #iFan13), the Ultimate iFan Event. The lineup includes: the iPhone Film Festival, featuring movies made entirely on iPhones, including the premier of Departure, a collaborative iPhone film shot in three countries; film-related Tech Talks, including an overview of the best video apps, a special talk with Fred Armisen, and a dynamic presentation and Q&A with the creative minds behind the Independent Film Channel's (IFC) OUT THERE; and an exhibit hall where the newest apps, software tools and accessories to support mobile filmmaking will be on display. Macworld/iWorld takes place January 31-February 2, 2013, at the Moscone Center West in San Francisco. Registration is now open and special pricing runs through January 1.
"Together, the iPhone Film Festival and Macworld/iWorld have provided a unique platform to celebrate the innovative filmmaking taking place on iPhones," said Ruben Kazantsev, co-creator of the iPhone Film Festival. "While Apple gave us the platform, it's the myriad of new apps, software and hardware tools that have given life to this evolving art form, and Macworld/iWorld is the place where it all comes together. Attendees should expect to be amazed by what the iPhone Film Festival winners have created and inspired to explore just what is possible using their own iPhone."
Highlights of the film events at Macworld/iWorld 2013 include:
The iPhone Film Festival
For the second year, Macworld/iWorld has teamed with Ruben Kazantsev and Renata Rinyu, co-founders of the successful iPhone Film Festival, to host filmmakers from around the world as they debut award-winning films and screen never-before-seen movies exclusively for Macworld/iWorld attendees. This year's line-up includes:
- Announcement of the iPhone Film Festival 4 Grand Prize Winner and a chance to view footage from some of this year's top films, all shot using iPhone technology.
- Premier of Departure, a collaborative film that represents an unchartered concept in filmmaking. From the mind of media trailblazer Ruben Kazanstev, Departure was shot in three separate countries—the United States, France and Belarus—by directors from those regions. Each filmmaker will contribute their assigned footage, shot exclusively on the iPhone, to form one complete, intertwining story that will debut at Macworld/iWorld. This is a first-of-its-kind venture in cost-effective, expeditious, epic filmmaking and a unique opportunity for Macworld/iWorld attendees to see, firsthand, the next generation of movie making.
The screening will be followed by a panel and Q&A during which attendees can hear from the directors—Christophe Nizou from France, Satie Gossett from the U.S. and Maria Kuracheva from Belarus—as well as writer Jimmy Borto, about the creative process behind iPhone filmmaking.
- A screening of the music video for "Killing Time" by the band All the Pretty Cars, which was filmed, animated and mixed using only an iPhone 4, lots of construction paper and patience. Named "Best Music Video" at the 2012 iPhone Film Festival, the screening will be followed by a special live performance of the song by Gea Gamboa of The Cleopatra Complex.
All iPhone Film Festival events are included as part of the iFAN Pass Package.
Film Tech Talks
The Macworld/iWorld 2013 agenda boasts more than 60 new educational sessions, interactive panel discussions, practical "how-to" presentations and "tips and tricks" learning opportunities with several focused on movie making, including:
- "Q&A with Fred Armisen." Best known as a punk rock drummer, cast member on Saturday Night Live, co-creator and co-star of IFC's Portlandia, Armisen is also a technophile. Listen in as he chats with Macworld Senior Editor Chris Breen about how he uses Apple technology to empower his creativity and identifies the products he can't live without.
- "OUT THERE: Behind the Scenes of IFC's newest animated comedy." Hear from Emmy-winning Director and Producer Ryan Quincy and members of his creative team as they share the creative and technical secrets behind how their new animated series, OUT THERE, evolved from a kernel of an idea into a full 10-episode season. OUT THERE follows the coming-of-age adventures of Chad, his little brother Jay and best friend Chris. The show staff will share video outtakes and clips from the yet-to-air premier episode, as well as discuss their behind-the-scenes creative process followed by live audience Q&A.
- "The Studio in Your Pocket," a workshop with Michael Koerbel and Anna Elizabeth James, iPhone filmmakers at Majek Pictures, will explore the latest video, photography and audio apps for both iPhone and iPad.
- "Life, Camera, Action: Ideas, innovation and images on the go. How mobile image capture is altering how we interact with the world," a special brown bag lunch sponsored by FiLMiC Pr with filmmakers Neill Barham and Michael Koerbel and cinematographer Jonathan Houser.
Fresh off a tall ship cruise in the Caribbean, Barham, Koerbel and Houser will take attendees on a mystical journey through the Windward Islands on a tour de force demonstration of mobile media apps in action. The sheer power of high-definition mobile capture is transforming not just the travel industry, but more importantly the very nature of travel itself and the way we engage, understand and share the world. In this spirited and evocative session, the FiLMiC mobile misfits will share stories of their adventures from the Caribbean and earlier mobile trips to the Mediterranean and the Baltic Sea. Detailing the progression in video capabilities from the early iPhone 4 days, on up to the 4S, the 5 and the new iPad, as well as what each hardware iteration has brought to the table, this session will be replete with delicious, real-world exotic travel video and documentary footage. Additionally, hear stories and anecdotes about all sorts of gear road tested under aggressive travel conditions, and get an insider's view of the winners and the losers in the accessories market, and hear battled-tested advice on what to buy and what to avoid.
"Apple technology has played a central role in much of my creative life—whether it's editing Portlandia episodes on my iPad or playing Steve Jobs on SNL—so I'm especially excited to come to Macworld/iWorld to share my experiences with fellow iFans, delve into how I use these tools to bring my vision to life, and offer some tips on the products that help propel my work," said Fred Armisen. "I promise you'll learn something and maybe even leave with a few laughs."
Expo Hall: A Showcase of Film Products
The Macworld/iWorld 2013 expo hall will feature hundreds of exhibitors and developers—more than 40 percent of which are first-time exhibitors—showcasing the latest hardware, software, apps and accessories for the Mac, iPhone, iPod and iPad. Dozens of companies have products designed to enable, expand and empower mobile filmmaking, including:
- Reallusion—a leader in the development of 3D cinematic animation tools for consumers, students and professionals, the company provides consumers with easy-to-use avatar animation, facial morphing and voice lip-sync solutions for real-time 3D filmmaking and previsualization for professional post-production.
- Studio Neat—the developer behind Frameographer, a simple and powerful app for making time-lapse and stop motion movies in HD, right on your iPhone.
- Topaz Labs—a company that makes video and image enhancement software for photographers and videographers.
- Creative Edge—an online collection of videos and books, including a series of publications on film and video production.
- Kdan Mobile Software Ltd.—a mobile software development company whose Animation Desk app offers the tool needed to make anyone an animator.
- Primera Technology—the world's leading developer and manufacturer of specialty printing equipment, the company offers the Bravo-Series of CD/DVD/BD duplicators, printers and publishers.
Many more events, performances, featured speakers, shopping opportunities and educational programming are still to be announced.
Attendee registration, along with information about event passes and pricing, can be found at: http://www.macworldiworld.com/register/.
For complete details on media qualification guidelines, please visit: http://www.macworldiworld.com/media-qualification-guidelines/. Please note that all media are required to submit media credentials for Macworld/iWorld.
For current happenings, news, chatter and to be part of the conversation, join Macworld/iWorld on:
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/MacworldExpo
- Event hashtag: #iFan13
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MacworldiWorld
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Macworld-Conference-Expo-1636267?home=&gid=1636267&trk=anet_ug_hm.
Macworld/iWorld is the world's Ultimate iFan Event for those who use, create and love Apple products. Attendees will encounter a unique celebration of Apple technology-infused art, music, and film, as well as learning opportunities, and a shopping mecca in our expo hall filled with products and services for Apple users of all skill levels and interests. Whether a home user, an artistic hobbyist, a professional or a true Technorati, Macworld/iWorld gives attendees the chance to experience all that the amazing world of Apple-related tools can offer. Macworld/iWorld will take place January 31 – February 2, 2013 at the Moscone Center West in San Francisco. For more information, please visit http://www.macworldiworld.com.
About IDG World Expo
IDG World Expo (www.idgworldexpo.com) is a leading producer of tradeshows and events for professionals and consumers seeking world-class education, strategic business relationships, and access to industry-leading products and services. IDG World Expo's portfolio of conferences and events includes Macworld / iWorld, the MacIT® Conference, the Electronic Entertainment Expo® (E3®), Anime Expo®, The Game Marketing Summit, Enterprise MobileNext (mNext), and Macworld Mobile. IDG World Expo is a business unit of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research and event company.
SOURCE IDG World Expo