BROOKVILLE, N.Y., March 24, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- LIU Post has formally announced the College of Arts, Communications and Design, which builds on its tradition as a leading destination for arts education. The College now encompasses the School of Performing Arts and the School of Visual Arts, Communications and Digital Technologies.
LIU Post's College of Arts, Communications and Design enables students to succeed at the forefront of the evolving arts landscape and confidently enter the creative economy. With more than 30 degrees available, the College offers engaged learning, internships, and performing experience which places graduates at the vanguard of the fastest-growing creative fields in the world.
"The range and quality of programs offered by our College of Arts, Communications and Design ensures that our already flourishing arts education at LIU Post will continue to attract the most talented and dedicated students," says Dr. Kimberly Cline, president of LIU. "We offer close proximity to the arts capital of the world and also a beautiful, bucolic Gold Coast campus—truly the best of both worlds for nurturing creativity—along with a faculty of award-winning professionals."
Engaging Student Success in the Arts
LIU Post provide students with unparalleled opportunities to perform and exhibit their work, learn from faculty who have impressive careers of their own as well as visiting artists, and participate in exciting collaborations with students in other disciplines. The individualized approach to arts education gives students the support they need to become engaged, thinking, young adults who are ready to succeed in whatever field they pursue.
Engaged learning is a hallmark of LIU Post's education in the arts, with all of the theater, dance, communications and music companies run as student enterprises. Students learn about leading a life in their chosen art by managing both the artistic and business aspects of these groups—filming, producing, and directing as well as performing.
LIU Post arts students also benefit from synergistic interaction with the Colleges of Management and Education. Through cross-disciplinary classes, projects, and events, the breadth of education at LIU Post offers unparalleled options. Beyond the campus, LIU Post students participate in a wide range of internships, from HBO and NBC Universal to sought-after positions at fashion companies and other creative venues.
This multifaceted education and experience has resulted in a long and impressive roster of successful alumni, including TV personalities, movie writers, Super Bowl presenters, radio hosts, musicians, actors, ballet dancers and Rockettes. LIU Post graduates have landed jobs at ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN, MTV, the Metropolitan Opera, on Broadway theaters and in leading design firms and arts institutions.
School of Performing Arts
Spotlight on Students, Celebrities and Alumni
LIU Post's College of Arts, Communications and Design provides an exceptional number of opportunities for students to perform, host and exhibit throughout the year—with more than 250 annually. The on-campus Post Theatre Company has won 14 Kennedy Center American College Theatre Awards and has participated in the prestigious Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
Another unique resource is LIU Post's Tilles Center for the Performing Arts, Long Island's premier concert venue, offering real-world experience for students both onstage and behind the curtain. Selected stars that perform at the Tilles Center also conduct workshops, talkbacks, and master classes with students.
Highlights of upcoming Tilles Center events that also provide student activities include:
- April 8, 2016 at 8:00 pm: Paul Taylor Dance Company, made possible, in part, by the generous support of the Eric and Sandy Krasnoff Dance Endowment Fund.
- April 10, 2016 at 7:00 pm: Grammy-award winning Esperanza Spalding presents Emily's D+Evolution—and holds a two-week residency on the LIU Post campus.
LIU Post also hosts an array of top-tier music festivals:
- April 13-17, 2016: Long Island Guitar Festival; Harris Becker, Director.
- April 17, 2016 at 7:00 pm: LIU Post Band Festival Concert; James McRoy, Director.
- July 11-29, 2016: LIU Post Chamber Music Festival with The Pierrot Consort Ensemble; Susan Deaver, Director.
On April 19, 2016 at 6:00 pm, LIU Post College of Arts, Communications and Design will host the "Celebration of the Arts" in the Tilles Atrium. The event, which celebrates and supports arts education at LIU, includes a Collage performance showcasing talented LIU students. LIU Post alumni Derrick Davis, who currently plays the roles of Mufasa and Scar in Disney's The Lion King on Broadway, will be honored at the event along with Jean Carlomusto, professor of media arts at LIU Post and director of HBO's Larry Kramer: In Love & Anger, a full-length documentary that explores the life of legendary author, gay activist and playwright, Larry Kramer.
School of Visual Arts, Communications and Digital Technologies
New Programs for Burgeoning Fields
School of Visual Arts, Communications and Digital Technologies offers diverse degree programs that prepare students for careers in a wide range of growing fields. The new Digital Game Design and Development program is modeled after some of the world's most successful game studios, and features a state-of-the-art digital games lab. Other innovative programs include LIU Post's interdisciplinary Clinical Art Therapy and Museum Studies degrees, as well as Fashion Merchandising.
LIU' Post's B.A. in Art History and Theory/M.A. Museum Studies, a 5-year accelerated dual program, combines the already existing B.A. program with the newly created M.A. in Museum Studies. Coordinated in conjunction with regional cultural institutions and museums, the M.A. is designed to offer students a rigorous academic curriculum as well as the tools, experience and skills necessary to pursue doctoral studies or professional careers in the field of the arts. The program draws on departmental strengths in research, art education, direct-object study, and the vast cultural resources of the New York metropolitan area.
LIU Post's new degree in Fashion Merchandising features faculty members who are top-tier industry experts, as well as access to the global fashion capital of the world. Students also participate in a premier engaged learning opportunity at The Student Body, LIU Post's highly successful student-run fashion boutique.
In the broadcasting realm, LIU Post's radio and television stations produce talent and programming that possess a notable local following and attract the attention of industry leaders. Many students have gone on to successful careers in broadcasting, public relations, and journalism as a result of their LIU Post education and experience.
LIU Post's B.F.A./M.B.A. and B.F.A/M.P.A. in Arts Management is the only 5-year accelerated dual degree program of its type in the United States.
Creative Faculty and Alumni Embody Achievement in the Arts
LIU Post's College of Arts, Communications, and Design has an outstanding faculty, who bring notable creative credentials to the classroom. Acclaimed faculty includes:
- Documentary filmmaker, HBO's Larry Kramer: In Love & Anger, which was shown at Sundance—Jean Carlomusto
- International exhibiting artist, board member of the Art League of Long Island, and guest lecturer at the Metropolitan Museum of Art—Dan Christoffel
- Director of New Play and Musical Development, Joseph Papp Public Theater/New York Shakespeare Festival—Rick DesRochers
- Broadway actor, national tours and on Broadway for 12 years, including Les Misérables—David Hugo
- Conductor, ASCAP-award winning conductor, including performances at Carnegie Hall and Juilliard School—Mark Shapiro
- Filmmaker of Small, Beautifully Moving Parts and Claire in Motion, both of which were accepted into the 2011 and 2016 SXSW Festival (respectively)—Elisabeth Robinson
- 2014 Music Educator Grammy award-nominees for teacher of the year—Professor Elaine Gates, Dr. Danielle McRoy, and Dr. Elise Sobol
Prominent alumni include:
- Actor, Disney's The Lion King on Broadway—Derrick Davis
- Actor, Beverly Hills, 90210, CSI, Starship Troopers, and Saw—Dina Meyer
- Actor, The Book of Mormon on Broadway—John Eric Parker
- Actor, Fun with Dick and Jane, Grey's Anatomy, and Cougar Town—Gloria Garayua
- Filmmaker and director of 10 Days Out: Blues from the Backroads —Noble Lincoln Jones
- Journalist, Good Day New York and WCBS Radio—Lynda Lopez
"Our alumni and current students embody the promise of an LIU Post arts education," says Noel Zahler, dean of the College of Arts, Communications and Design. "It's where rigor meets nurture and results in creativity and success."
LIU is one of the nation's largest private universities. Since 1926, LIU has provided high quality academic programs taught by world-class faculty. LIU offers 500 accredited programs to more than 20,000 students and has a network of over 200,000 alumni, including leaders in industries across the globe. Visit www.liu.edu for more information.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/liu-post-unveils-college-of-arts-communications-and-design-300241113.html
SOURCE Long Island University