BOSTON, June 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- At 5:00 p.m. EST on Thursday, June 11, eleven startups – launching their businesses at one of Boston's most pioneering incubators – will take the stage at Boston TechJam, the region's largest and most diverse innovation event. In the "Building a Better Boston" Showcase & Pitch Tournament, accelerators will kick off with a 60-second overview on how they're impacting the region and introduce a startup from their program. Each startup will have just two minutes to pitch their business concept, which will be put to a crowd vote. In addition, Mayor Martin J. Walsh will attend the event to welcome the innovators – from universities, to emerging startups, to some of the largest companies in the world – that come together to make this city a flourishing technology ecosystem.
The "Building a Better Boston" Showcase & Pitch Tournament will be emceed by Jay Batson, Acquia co-founder and startup angel, and will feature the following accelerator and startup duos:
- Blade & Drafted, a mobile app that makes referral based hiring fun and rewarding
- Bolt & DipJar, which provides a cashless tip jar for businesses
- Constant Contact's Small Business Innovation Program & FamilyID, dedicated to connecting people with programs and activities through a centralized online marketplace
- FinTech Sandbox & Elsen, a high performance computing engine built to solve complex computational challenges
- Greentown Labs & MetaComb Inc., which turns cardboard into a highly-functional beautiful and sustainable building material
- Healthbox & GoodLux Technology, a wearable device + app invented by doctors that supports depression and insomnia treatment
- Impact Hub Boston & CleanPower Perks, which rewards people and celebrates brands for using clean energy
- LearnLaunch & Education Modified, which creates research-based, user-friendly teaching tools for students with special needs through the use of technology
- MassChallenge & 3derm, which makes dermatology efficient and accessible to all patients
- Raizlabs XLR8 & Rhinobird.tv, a people-driven live video network
- TechStars & indico, which turns raw text and image into human insight
"On the main stage we'll have such an incredible range of local accelerators and startups delivering their best pitches and showcasing what makes Boston the best place on earth to start and scale companies," said Jay Batson, Boston TechJam pitch showcase moderator and angel investor and Acquia co-founder. "Boston TechJam attendees will be blown away by the diversity and depth of talent and ideas. The entreprenuers presenting are truly world-class and they represent the innovation culture that makes our region so special.
After the startups and incubators share how they're helping to build a better Boston, Boston tech visionaries Gail Goodman (Constant Contact), Andy Youniss (Rocket Software) and Maia Heymann (CommonAngels) will take the stage, sharing with the 3,000-plus Boston TechJam commentary on the pitch showcase and what it takes to start and grow a company in Boston.
"TechJam is a platform that allows for collaboration, discovery and celebration of Boston's technology ecosystem. Each year we add new elements that showcase the best and brightest that Boston has to offer," said Christine Nolan, co-founder of TechJam. "With this year's "Building a Better Boston" theme, we're really excited to show-off all of the industries and organizations that work together to make this a great place to build and grow a company."
Prior to and after the pitch contest and startup showcase, there will be live music acts, innovation exhibitions and "street festival"-type games and activities hosted by more than 75 area tech companies. There will also be networking with 3,000+ attendees in City Hall Plaza as well as local art, craft beer from Harpoon Brewery and food trucks. Boston TechJam, a 21+ event, is just $10 to attend with 100 percent of admissions supporting computing education in Massachusetts through the MassTLC Education Foundation.
To register for the event and get the most up-to-date information regarding the event including timing, logistics, sponsors and partners, please visit www.bostontechjam.org and follow updates at @bostontechjam.
The event would not be possible without the thought leadership and financial support of our underwriting sponsors Acquia, Autodesk, CenturyLink, Constant Contact, HP, Kronos Incorporated, LogMeIn, Oracle, Rocket Software and Slalom as well as BetaBoston, the official media sponsor.
About Boston TechJam
Boston TechJam is a showcase and accelerator for new ideas and world-class innovations coming out of the Boston region. The event brings together early stage companies, entrepreneurs, students, established enterprises, venture capitalists and artists to celebrate the region's technology, entrepreneurship and culture. Equal parts idea exchange and celebration, Boston TechJam is an unconventional meeting ground for local innovators, visionaries and up-and-comers. The 21+ event will take place June 11, 2015 in Boston City Hall Plaza.
Boston TechJam is supported by Acquia, Autodesk, CenturyLink, Constant Contact, HP, Kronos Incorporated, LogMeIn, Oracle, Rocket Software and Slalom and collaborators include Apperian, MassTLC, East Coast Catalyst, Presskit.to, Influence Central, SHIFT Communications, MITX and New England Venture Capital Association.
SOURCE Boston TechJam