Local New Zealand Government Council Selects CommVault Simpana Software To Improve Data Management And Compliance Retention — Innovative Wanganui District Council Embraces Modern Data Management with Backup, Archiving, Deduplication and Disaster Recovery to Ensure Fully Compliant Data Access & Availability —
- Wanganui District Council, the local government for an urban centre with rural surroundings and 43,000 residents on the North Island of New Zealand, is using CommVault® Simpana® 9 software to protect vital public records, provide employees with uninterrupted access to critical operational data and ensure compliance with New Zealand's Public Records Act.
- An IT team of 14 (including support staff) serves approximately 400 users across a heavily virtualised VMware environment with critical applications, including Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server and SharePoint; an Electronic Document and Records Management System (EDRMS) for data retention; Geographic Information System (GIS) for emergency services and civil defence; and property and rating software for managing property, land and address information.
- With Simpana software's modern data management capabilities, Wanganui District Council reports reductions in the time required to backup and recover 6 TB of data—what used to take days to restore now can be recovered in seconds. Moreover, the council relies on Simpana software's embedded deduplication to eliminate redundant data, which further decreases its backup window.
- Simpana Archive replaced a legacy CA ARCserve platform as Simpana better supported the wide-ranging data retention requirements placed on the council by national legislation and Simpana Enterprise Search better expedited both internal and external requests for public and operational data.
- According to Wanganui District Council, Simpana software is one of a handful of technologies considered vitally important to council operations. Wanganui is also supporting a Local Authorities Shared Services (LASS) government client services group. This body delivers a collaborative central archive domain and disaster recovery centre leveraging CommVault Simpana software, to several neighboring districts increasing overall IT spend efficiency in the region.
Tweet This: .@wanganuionline elects @CommVault's #Simpana software for data management & compliance with New Zealand's Public Records Act http://bit.ly/Nz6nH4
Seamless Integration, Reliability and Scalability Voted Top Benefits of Simpana Software
- CommVault's flexible capacity licensing model enables Wanganui District Council to easily change scope, scale and protection methods for little additional cost or management overhead. Additionally, the CommVault capacity licensing model provides the council with an affordable entry point and seamless growth path to other Simpana software capabilities.
- As a result, the council will be adding functionality, including Simpana SnapProtect® to further expedite virtual machine restores and Edge Data Protection to safeguard data residing on remote desktops and laptops.
- With CommVault's integrated archiving and search capabilities, Wanganui District Council can also extend the reach of its digitisation project and EDRMS by enabling them to safeguard, search and retrieve files across all its data stores, encompassing SharePoint, Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint and other important information.
- By incorporating CommVault in its overarching disaster recovery strategy Wanganui District Council can better support independent retention policies. Wanganui can efficiently make copies of backup data and move it to the offsite data centre by coupling Simpana software deduplication with DASH (Deduplication Accelerated Streaming Hash) replication.
Jason Simons, Information Services Manager for Wanganui District Council:
- "With many products we might only use 20 or 30 percent of the total functionality but we plan to use 100 percent of Simpana software because CommVault makes it easy with its seamless integration and centralized management console. We don't have to learn another product and users don't have to learn another product—which we really appreciate about Simpana software."
- "Our ability to restore a VM machine within seconds is huge. When compared to the time and effort it took previously, Simpana software paid for itself immediately. Additionally, our confidence level is extremely high, knowing that all data can be recovered in relatively short order, which is a big deal as the safety of our information is paramount."
- CommVault has delivered 24-hour support whenever it's been needed and to a very high standard.
- "My aim is to have six key systems that we rely on and CommVault definitely stands out in that group because Simpana software ties together all our critical data systems to help us ensure our information is secure and can be archived, searched, accessed and recovered quickly and easily."
- Subscribe to CommVault RSS feeds
- Follow CommVault on Twitter
- Follow CommVault on Facebook
- Watch CommVault videos on YouTube
- Join CommVault PartnerAdvantage on LinkedIn
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2012 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.