NEW YORK, Jan. 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Since the starting point for all enterprise connectivity is the Domain Name System (DNS), doesn't it make sense to secure the DNS when providing enterprise cybersecurity? It's estimated that 97 percent of all attacks involve DNS in some capacity, so the ability for DNS to play a role in security is extensive. By taking an umbrella approach to enterprise security using a secure DNS, CIOs and CISOs can effectively reduce gaps in visibility and coverage while mitigating remediation costs and damage from breaches. To assist IT professionals tasked with enterprise security at their organizations, the security experts at Logicalis US, an international IT solutions and managed services provider(www.us.logicalis.com), have created a series of articles and infograms outlining the benefits of Taking an Umbrella Approach to Security.
"By using threat intelligence and cloud scale analytics, and by leveraging how the DNS protocol operates, the approach taken by Cisco Umbrella – formerly OpenDNS – works to protect users from being exposed to attacks and malware no matter where the user or the malware is located," says Ron Temske, Vice President of Security Solutions, Logicalis US. "There are few solutions that can provide this level of impact to enterprise security with such a rapid time to value."
Eight Ways Securing DNS Operations Can Provide Greater Enterprise Security
Here are several ways this umbrella approach to DNS can protect an enterprise environment:
- Keeps a continuously updated record of malicious sites, so if you click on that link for a spoofed version of a legitimate site, the DNS prevents users from being sent to the fraudulent site.
- Keeps a continuously validated database of site addresses which prevents a DNS cache poisoning attack from succeeding.
- Provides filtering ability for undesirable content (i.e., blocking all requests for adult content).
- Blocks the "call home" request from many forms of malware effectively minimizing the impact of that malware.
- Works whether a device is on the corporate network or even while on guest networks when using AnyConnect or a roaming client.
- Provides an extensive reporting dashboard that can offer a view into details such as SaaS consumption. For instance, CIOs or CISOs could view not only that Salesforce.com is being used, but who on their network is using it.
- Provides an "investigate console" to protect users and enable IT staff to understand the threat landscape with details such as phishing site vs. adult content site.
- Integrates Cisco Umbrella/OpenDNS with Cisco AMP ThreatGrid and other technology partners such as Check Point to integrate other solutions' threat intelligence into the platform.
Want to Learn More?
- Read a two-part article exploring what an umbrella approach to security can look like in your enterprise – Part One: Potential DNS Vulnerabilities and Part Two: A Secure DNS.
- Download an infographic displaying the benefits of Taking an Umbrella Approach to Security.
Logicalis is an international multi-skilled solution provider providing digital enablement services to help customers harness digital technology and innovative services to deliver powerful business outcomes.
Our customers cross industries and geographical regions; our focus is to engage in the dynamics of our customers' vertical markets including financial services, TMT (telecommunications, media and technology), education, healthcare, retail, government, manufacturing and professional services, and to apply the skills of our 4,000 employees in modernizing key digital pillars, data center and cloud services, security and network infrastructure, workspace communications and collaboration, data and information strategies, and IT operation modernization.
We are the advocates for our customers for some of the world's leading technology companies including Cisco, HPE, IBM, NetApp, Microsoft, VMware and ServiceNow.
The Logicalis Group has annualized revenues of over $1.5 billion from operations in Europe, North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific. It is a division of Datatec Limited, listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and the AIM market of the LSE, with revenues of over $6.5 billion.
For more information, visit www.us.logicalis.com.
Business and technology working as one
To learn more about Logicalis activities through a variety of social media outlets, click here.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/logicalis-us-to-cios-cisos-its-time-to-take-an-umbrella-approach-to-enterprise-security-300390647.html
SOURCE Logicalis US