WASHINGTON, April 24, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Look Good Feel Better®, a free public service program dedicated to helping women living with cancer cope with the appearance side effects of treatment, today announced the launch of "More than Makeup," an initiative that reinforces a simple truth many participants experience firsthand: Look Good Feel Better is more than a program simply about makeup.
The More than Makeup initiative is launching during Look Good Feel Better Week – a week that celebrates and focuses attention on the program and its life-changing services – with a social media promotion that asks followers to post a photo wearing red lipstick in support of women who are going through cancer treatment.
"We've heard from many women that they choose to wear red lipstick during treatment to feel empowered – they've even referred to it as their 'war paint,'" said Louanne Roark, Executive Director of the Look Good Feel Better Foundation. "We are launching this initiative today in their honor and in solidarity with the more-than-800,000 women who are diagnosed with cancer each year."
Look Good Feel Better is made possible in the U.S. through a collaboration of the Look Good Feel Better Foundation, the American Cancer Society and the Professional Beauty Association. The program has served nearly 1 million women in the United States since it began in 1989. Annually, 15,000 workshops are offered in more than 2,000 host facilities, and 150,000 patients and survivors are served through online and virtual services and support.
In addition to the More Than Makeup initiative, Look Good Feel Better will raise awareness and support during Look Good Feel Better Week (April 23-29) with the following initiatives:
- Hosting the second annual Look Good Feel Better – The Auction in partnership with CharityBuzz on April 26 – May 10, 2017, with packages that offer one-of-a-kind experiences and exceptional merchandise. Visit lookgoodfeelbetter.org/auction for more. Some examples of items for bid include:
- Two tickets to the Golden Globes After Party Dinner, hosted by InStyle magazine, including transportation to/from the dinner, hair/makeup and hotel;
- Four courtside seats to watch the Orlando Magic, dinner at Jernigans, four $100 gift cards to the Magic Gift shop, and pre-game VIP tour of the Amway Center, courtesy of Amway. Round trip airfare to Orlando and hotel included;
- Three-day, two-night holiday for two, including golf and dinner at the Breakers Palm Beach Resort, and PB Esthetics skin care certificate for $250;
- Four tickets to visit the CBS Sunday Morning set, watch a taping, and meet host Jane Pauley, provided by CBS Corporation; and
- Christian Louboutin Paloma Small Embroidered Tote Bag, courtesy of Christian Louboutin.
- Celebrating its volunteers during National Volunteer Week, which coincides this year with Look Good Feel Better Week, by featuring a blog series announcing the winners of the 2016 Look Good Feel Better National Sunrise Awards – those who have demonstrated exceptional dedication and commitment to the Look Good Feel Better program;
- Announcing the following partnerships for 2017 (visit our Partner Promotions page for more details):
- Benefit Cosmetics;
- Esteemed fashion/beauty photographer Erez Sabag;
- Crème of Nature;
- The Headwear Company;
- Little Words Project;
- Lord & Taylor;
- Make Up Forever;
- Rouge Media;
- Sexy Hair; and
- Olympic gymnast Shannon Miller's Salto.
"Look Good Feel Better Week is our opportunity to shine a light on women with cancer and the vital role the program has in helping them to restore their confidence, hope and survivor frame of mind," said Roark. "Working with many of our corporate supporters allows us to enhance Look Good Feel Better's reach and awareness of our services, while raising funds that are vital to making our program available to women across the country."
Learn more or donate at www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org, follow Look Good Feel Better on Twitter (@LGFB), on Facebook @LookGoodFeelBetter and on Instagram @LookGoodFeelBetter, and join the conversation using hashtag #MoreThanMakeup.
About Look Good Feel Better
Look Good Feel Better is a free public service program that helps women, men and teens with cancer improve their self-esteem and confidence by helping them to deal with the appearance side effects of cancer treatment. The program offers free workshops, and online and virtual support that include lessons on skin and nail care, cosmetics, wigs and turbans, accessories and styling… helping people with cancer to find some normalcy in a life that is by no means normal. Look Good Feel Better is offered through a collaborative effort of the Look Good Feel Better Foundation, the charitable arm of the Personal Care Products Council, the trade group representing the cosmetics and beauty industry; the American Cancer Society, the nation's largest voluntary health organization dedicated to saving lives from cancer; and the Professional Beauty Association, the largest organization of salon professionals with members representing salons/spas, distributors, manufacturers and beauty professionals. For more information, visit the website at www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org or call 1- 800-395-LOOK. Look Good Feel Better is a registered trademark of the Look Good Feel Better Foundation.
Donations from partnerships mentioned herein will go to the Look Good Feel Better Foundation to benefit the Look Good Feel Better program.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/look-good-feel-better-introduces-more-than-makeup-initiative-300444257.html
SOURCE Look Good Feel Better