Los Alamos National Laboratory Selects DataDirect Networks' High-Performance Storage to Support Petascale Collaboration Among Scientists & Researchers DDN to Deliver Site-Wide File System to Meet Existing and Future Cluster Demands for Scale, Throughput and Reliability for Laboratory's Institutional Computing Program
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Nov. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) has selected high-performance storage from DataDirect Networks (DDN™) to support its Institutional Computing program, which encompasses a broad range of unclassified, collaborative scientific efforts, including the study of biology, earth science, physics, oceans and cosmology.
- In fulfilling the program's mission to provide open and equal access to high-performance computing resources to every LANL scientist and engineer, as well as research colleagues around the world, the institution provides nearly 70,000 computing cores and more than a petaflop of processing power.
- To bolster its environment for multidisciplinary application simulations while supporting existing and future cluster architectures within institutional computing, LANL sought a high-throughput, scalable and reliable single site-wide system that represented the best overall value.
- LANL selected DDNTM Storage Fusion Architecture® (SFA) high-performance storage and DDN's EXAScaler™ Lustre® file system appliance to meet the compute-intensive demands of 11 separate computing clusters by delivering 4.3 PBs of storage capacity and up to 40 GB/second I/O performance via the Lustre file system.
- DDN currently powers over two-thirds of the world's 100 fastest supercomputers.
Storage Performance, Reliability and Flexibility Key to Improving Scientific Research
- With DDN storage, LANL will be able to store, access and share massive amounts of data among its diverse and distributed community of scientists and researchers while having the flexibility to connect to different HPC platforms across its common environment.
- DDN SFA12K-40 supports nearly 1.7 million IOPS to cache and 1.4 million IOPS to disk, depending on the disk configuration; the system has a maximum capacity of 1,680 SATA, SAS and/or SSD disk drives in three racks.
- The DDN SFA high-performance storage-based EXAScaler Lustre file system appliance will be able to accommodate LANL's requirements, ranging from small compute tasks to extremely large compute demands spanning tens of thousands of computing cores in parallel.
Bob Tomlinson, institutional computing program manager at Los Alamos National Laboratory
- "In supporting LANL's broad range of scientific computing projects, it's imperative that our scientists, researchers and colleagues have instant access to the data they need to analyze results and improve scientific outcomes. With DDN's high-performance storage and site-wide file system approach, LANL will be equipped to support our compute-intensive demands both now and in the future."
Jeff Denworth, vice president of Marketing at DDN
- "DDN is extremely pleased to provide Los Alamos National Laboratory with a high-throughput, scalable file and storage subsystem, which will enable taking advantage of the highest levels of storage performance, reliability and scalability to ensure fast and efficient data access and sharing while accelerating scientific discoveries."
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2013 All rights reserved. DDN, Storage Fusion Architecture, SFA12K, WOS, DirectMon, hScaler and Information In Motion are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
SOURCE DataDirect Networks