Los Angeles City Council Member Mitchell Englander Charged with Conflict of Interest by The Coalition to Ban Alcohol Ads on Public Property in Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Youth, adults, and community organizations that make up the The Coalition to Ban Alcohol Ads on Public Property in Los Angeles (www.NoAlcoholAds.org) will hold a press event and rally tomorrow at L.A. City Hall to release documents supporting Council Member Richard Alarcon's motion to ban alcohol ads from L.A. city-owned or controlled property. The motion has been held up in the Public Safety Committee since the summer of 2011 by committee chair Mitchell Englander. The advocates will charge Englander with conflict of interest for the delay.
What: Press event and rally
When: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:30 a.m.
Where: Los Angeles City Hall Spring Street Bus Shelter
Who: Speakers Include:
- Richard Alarcon, Los Angeles Councilmember Dist. 7
- Michael Scippa, Public Affairs Director, Alcohol Justice
- Ruben Rodriguez, Executive Director, Pueblo y Salud, Inc.,
- Margot Bennett, Executive Director, Women Against Gun Violence
- Terry Marquez, Chair, Boyle Heights Stakeholders Association, NW
- Sara Cooley, MA/MPH, Project Coordinator, P3 Partnership for a Positive Pomona
- Susan Blauner, Director of Operations, Saving Lives Drug and Alcohol Coalition
- Dennis Hathaway, President, Coalition to Ban Billboard Blight
- John O. Whitaker, Jr., CDS, CATC II, President, Paso Por Paso
- Kevin M. Key, Community Organizer, United Coalition East Prevention Project
Coalition Members include:
- American Indian Movement – WEST
- Alcohol Justice
- Asian American Drug Abuse Program Inc.
- Boyle Heights Stakeholders Association
- Boyle Heights Coalition for a Safe & Drug Free Community
- Coalition to Ban Billboard Blight
- Community Coalition
- Institute for Public Strategies
- Koreatown Youth & Community Center
- Mexican History Foundation
- P3 Partnership for a Positive Pomona
- Phoenix House
- Pilar of Fire Church
- Paso por Paso
- Pueblo y Salud
- Saving Lives Drug and Alcohol Coalition
- Sycamore Grove School
- Tarzana Treatment Centers & AWARE Coaltion
- United Coalition East Prevention Project
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union
- Women Against Gun Violence
- Michael & Kitty Dukakis, former Massachusetts Governor & First Lady
- California Council on Alcohol Problems
- California Alliance for Retired Americans
- Center for Living and Learning
- County Alcohol and Drug Program Administrators' Association of California
- Day One Pasadena
- Public Citizen
- San Fernando Valley Partnership
- Venice Neighborhood Council
- To make public the letters submitted by national research institutions that provide clear and compelling evidence that alcohol advertising on city owned property encourages youth alcohol consumption which leads to harm.
- To present charges of conflict of interest against City Council Member and Public Safety Committee Chair Mitchell Englander for failing to act upon the evidence and research and allow the motion to ban alcohol ads on public property to receive a fair hearing.
For More Information go to: www.NoAlcoholAds.org
SOURCE Coalition to Ban Alcohol Ads on Public Property in Los Angeles
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.