LyondellBasell Celebrates 15th Anniversary of Global Care Day Employees and Families in 20 Countries Serve Local Community Needs
HOUSTON and LONDON, May 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- LyondellBasell volunteers in 20 countries will demonstrate their commitment to community service on Saturday, May 17 as part of the company's 15th annual Global Care Day.
The event encourages employees worldwide to collectively participate in community service projects across the globe on one day. Each participating LyondellBasell site selects a project that is aligned with one of the company's community relations focus areas of health, education and environmental stewardship.
Over the past 15 years, approximately 25,900 employees and their families have donated more than 162,800 volunteer hours in support of their communities on Global Care Day.
"We have a significant number of important community projects organized for this year's Global Care Day," said Jim Gallogly, LyondellBasell Chief Executive Officer. "I look forward to working with our employees and their family members as we take time to make a positive impact on the life of a child, a senior citizen, or someone in need or to beautify the communities where we live and work."
Some of the activities planned for May 17 include:
- Feeding the hungry served by the Houston Food Bank, and improving outdoor recreation space at the Galena Park Early Head Start - Becker Early Childhood Center in Houston.
- Planting trees and shrubs at the Thomas Bell Foster Park, highway clean-up and trash removal, and engaging senior citizens at a local nursing home in Channelview, Texas.
- Tree-trimming, weeding, painting and refurbishing picnic tables at The Ark shelter for abused and neglected children in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Revamping the schoolhouse, expanding the library and painting at the Boys Village for at-risk youth in Lake Charles, Louisiana.
- Mulching, weeding and planting spring flowers at the Nature Park in Cincinnati and painting swing sets and planting flowers at the McKinley Elementary School in Fairport Harbor, Ohio.
- Landscaping a playground at the Greater Newark Charter School in Newark, New Jersey.
- Refurbishing and landscaping a playground at North Ward Elementary School in Tuscola, Ill.
- Preparing and serving hot meals to the homeless at The Margins Project in London and collecting canned food, baby products and household items for the poor served by the Wesley Mission Center in Mansfield, England.
- Installing internal fire doors and planting shrubs at the 1st Flixton Scout Group building in Manchester and litter clean-up at Mount Farm Lake in Buckinghamshire, England.
- Beach clean-ups in Hong Kong, Singapore and Etang de Berre, France.
- Creating an urban green space by planting trees in Barcelona and Tarragona, Spain.
- Collecting food, clothes and medical supplies for the needy served by Opera S Francesco Per i Poveri in Milan.
- Teaching children at the Entenfang-Schlosschen kindergarten about electricity and chemistry, and planting a vegetable garden at the Villa Kunterbunt kindergarten in Wesseling, Germany.
- Replacing a fence around the donkey field and painting the chicken barn at the Children's Farm Beestenboel in Rozenburg, South Holland.
- Partnering with Rotterdam (Netherlands) Cares to host a day at the zoo for elderly living at the Laurens Nursing Homes.
- Preparing hot meals and providing school supplies and personal hygiene kits for children in Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines.
- Clearing a hiking trail in the Bukhansan National Park in Seoul, South Korea.
- Cleaning trash at the Neidong National Forest Recreation Area in the Wulai Township of Taipei County in Taiwan.
- Painting, repairing playground equipment and collecting books for needy children at the Wat Chak Pak Kood School in Rayong, Thailand.
- Planting trees and picking up litter in Jiaomen Park in Guangzhou, China.
- Refurbishing a playground and hosting a "beauty day" for children living at the Abrigo Analia Franco shelter in Sao Paulo.
- Hosting a food drive for the hungry and homeless served by Fair Share in South Yarra in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the world's largest plastics, chemical and refining companies and a member of the S&P 500. LyondellBasell (www.lyondellbasell.com) manufactures products at 55 sites in 18 countries. LyondellBasell products and technologies are used to make items that improve the quality of life for people around the world including packaging, electronics, automotive parts, home furnishings, construction materials and biofuels.