FRAMINGHAM, Mass., Jan. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Kicking off the month in which Macworld | iWorld takes place, IDG World Expo today announced a slew of new content and event highlights. These include: new Tech Talks developed in conjunction with Superfly Presents and Theatrics, creators of the Mass Participation TV series; the unveiling of three DJs selected to compete in the RISE Electronic Music DJ Battle & Bash; the winners of the "Appalooza – The Greatest Apps of All Time" contest; and a list exhibitors participating in both the Mobile Apps Showcase and the recently announced OS X Zone.
Today's announcements complement a full agenda of music, film and art events, including performances, screenings, workshops and galleries, developed to celebrate the intersection of technology and art, as well as a vibrant show floor that serves as a true reflection of today's evolving iOS marketplace. Macworld | iWorld will take place January 26 – January 28, 2012, at the Moscone Center – West Hall in San Francisco.
IDG World Expo has joined forces with Superfly Presents, the entertainment and marketing agency responsible for world-class music festivals such as Bonnaroo, Outside Lands and Life is Good, to bring attendees two special Tech Talks focused on the impact of Apple technology on the film and music industries, respectively. The sessions include:
- "The Creators" panel featuring recording artist Fitz of Fitz and The Tantrums, director Brad Furman known for his work on the "The Lincoln Lawyer" and "The Take," and additional panelists to be announced. The session will explore how Apple technology has been vital in the development of the modern-day artistic process. Today's artists are producing work faster, with finer detail, and with more independence than ever before. Superfly has chosen this select group of notable artists to discuss how Apple technology provides new platforms for effectively reaching their audiences.
- "Music and Marketing" with Jamie Sampson of SoundTracking, Jordan Kurland of Zeitgeist Artist Management and additional panelists to be announced shortly. This panel will examine how the establishment of a deep connection between artist and audience is vital to attain commercial success. The tools and functionality to reach audiences have never been more diverse and accessible. This panel will showcase select music industry professionals who will discuss how Apple technology has allowed artists to engage directly with their fans/followers, about how mobile music apps are being utilized via Apple technology, and what innovative developments lay ahead.
The IDG World Expo/Superfly Presents partnership also includes the opening night kick-off concert with Modest Mouse.
Additionally, a Tech Talk produced in collaboration with Theatrics, creators of the first Mass Participation TV series, focuses on the impact of social media and technology on collaborative story telling. Theatrics' Mass Participation TV series "Beckinfield" is the only social TV experience where anyone can create a character and play a part in a professional, plot-driven show.
- Theatrics presents "'Beckinfield' – Mass Participation TV with a Special Performance by Jonathan Frakes." As noted by Wired.com, Mass Participation TV (MPTV) "takes social media to the 9th degree." In this special session, Bob Gebert and Tracy Evans of Theatrics––the creators of "Beckinfield" the world's first Mass Participation TV series––pull back the curtain and reveal the origins of their project, the production technology at play and the story behind the story. Jonathan Frakes, who plays Dylan Marks in the series, will be on stage announcing the winner of the Ultimate Online Audition Contest at Macworld | iWorld; that winner will receive $10,000 and a trip to Hollywood with a friend. A special segment of "Beckinfield" will be filmed live as part of Frakes' guest appearances in the series with the Macworld | iWorld audience joining the story line by playing the part of "Beckinfield" residents. Bob, Tracy and Jonathan will discuss the project in depth, show story videos and unveil all about the Macworld | iWorld story line.
For 12 days in December, Macworld | iWorld hosted "Appalooza – The Greatest Apps of All Time" contest, a mobile app contest designed to celebrate today's vibrant iOS marketplace. Voters cast ballots for their favorite iOS apps and helped create an ultimate list of the greatest apps in categories ranging from games to lifestyle to music-photo and social apps. After thousands of votes were cast, Macworld | iWorld is excited to present the top five highest vote getters: Touch Retouch, Blues Masters, Splashtop Remote Desktop, Turbo Viewer and Legendary Wars. A full list of winning apps can be found at: http://apps.facebook.com/offerpop/Contest.psp?c=54109&u=14562&a=254553244581393&p=58481436623&rest=0&v=Results.
Many of the apps highlighted as part of Appalooza will be available to see and try at Macworld | iWorld's Mobile Apps Showcase. One of the most popular areas of the extensive show floor, the Mobile Apps Showcase offers attendees unparalleled opportunities to see, try and learn about the latest iPad, iPhone and iPod innovations directly from more than 100 developers who created them. Exhibiting companies include: App Creation Network, Brainshark, Inc., Clear-Media, Fierce Wombat Games, Infomato, Inc., KoamTac, NeoPlay Entertainment, Penpower Inc, Red Robot Labs, Smile, TriceraSoft, WillowTree Apps and XMG Studio, to name a few.
New to the exhibit hall in 2012, the OS X Zone is a special area of the show floor dedicated to showcasing innovations from OS X software developers, the most in-demand category of products requested by Macworld | iWorld attendees each year. Interest in the OS X Zone has been strong and participating companies will include: BusyMac, CHL Software, Codo, Coladia, Connected Accounting and ERP, Dev-Audio Pty Ltd, e3 Software, FileThis, Flexibits Inc., Geekjam LLC, Karelia Software, Left Coast Logic, Mapdiva LLC, RAGE Software, RealMac Software, Sheep Systems, Smile, SoftClouds, Sparrow, Splasm Software and Widget Press.
A full list of exhibitors can be found at: http://www.macworldiworld.com/exhibitor-list/.
The RISE Electronic Music DJ Battle & Bash, which will bring together electronic music DJs using Apple technologies to compete in a club environment and feature a special performance by platinum-selling electronic artist BT, has unveiled the three finalists who will compete for the grand prize of $1,000. Selected from more than 100 submissions, these DJs will battle in front of a live audience and a panel of judges that includes some of today's hottest and most innovative DJs, including DJ Solomon, DJ Dani Deahl and DJ Ean Golden.
- Alexander (Alex) Sibley of San Francisco who is rapidly climbing up the ranks of California's vibrant house/techno scene. From having his tracks get played out in clubs around the world to DJing shows around the bay area at some of the biggest venues/parties (Lovevolution at Oakland coliseum, Ruby Skye in SF, Supperclub, etc.) his sets have always impressed, bringing a unique twist to tech house and techno. Alex has had the privilege to play alongside Alex Kenji, Moby, Pendulum, The Glitch Mob, Markus Schultz, DJ Reza, Gareth Emery, Darude, Serge Devant, Kill the Noise and Treasure fingers.
- Dustin Delany (AKA Nisus) who moves dance floors, flowing seamlessly through electro bangers to womping dubstep explosions with tech-funk tweaks. His productions are whipped up electronic analog bass frenzies that initially gained momentum when he won the Outside Lands remix contest. Since then he has performed at 2010′s Treasure Island Music Festival, SF's yearly Lovefest and Coachella. He is San Francisco based and is also a contributing writer for DJTechTools.com; as a resident for Basthaus he supported a wide-range of up-and-coming DJs at some of the best clubs in the world.
- DJ GeoD of San Francisco who since the age of 13 has immersed himself in the world of hip hop and electronica. With roots in turntablism and representing the hard-hitting progressive/dutch house genre in his sets, Geo-D is a whole different animal who brings "old guard" techniques that obliterate the usual "press play" acts of today's scene. He has collaborated and played with acts in the hip hop industry and the electronica scene and, bringing in flavors that echo Laidback Luke's fierce crowd presence and DJ Vice's tenacity on the decks, commands respect from the start of his sets.
Macworld | iWorld offers attendees a full slate of new show elements debuting in 2012—including the Music Experience, Film Event, Art Experience and more than 75 Tech Talks—as well as attendee-favorite programs that include a dynamic exhibit floor featuring hundreds of companies showcasing the latest in software, hardware, peripherals, accessories and applications for the Apple products platform, networking events and meet ups, unique shopping opportunities and workshops that take attendees inside OS X Lion, iOS 5 and key third-party products.
Attendee registration is open at: https://register.rcsreg.com/r2/macsf2012/ga/clear.html. Information about event passes and pricing can be found at: http://www.macworldiworld.com/packages-and-prices.
For complete details on media qualification guidelines, please visit: http://www.macworldiworld.com/credentials. Please note that all media are required to submit media credentials for Macworld | iWorld.
For current happenings, news and chatter follow Macworld | iWorld on Twitter at http://twitter.com/MacworldExpo and like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/MACWORLD/58481436623.
About Macworld | iWorld
Macworld | iWorld is the world's ultimate fan event for those who use, create, and love Apple products. Attendees will encounter a unique celebration of Apple technology-infused art, music, and film, as well as learning opportunities, and a shopping mecca in our expo hall filled with products and services for Apple users of all skill levels and interests. From home users, to artistic hobbyists and professionals, and the true Technorati—Macworld | iWorld gives attendees the chance to experience all that the amazing world of Apple-related tools can offer. Macworld | iWorld will take place January 26 – January 28, 2012 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. For more information, please visit http://www.macworldiworld.com.
About IDG World Expo
IDG World Expo (www.idgworldexpo.com) is a leading producer of tradeshows and events for professionals and consumers seeking world-class education, strategic business relationships, and access to industry-leading products and services. IDG World Expo's portfolio of conferences and events includes Macworld | iWorld, MacIT® Conference, Electronic Entertainment Expo® (E3®), Anime Expo®, QuakeCon, Halo® Fest, and Enterprise MobileNext. IDG World Expo is a business unit of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research and event company.
About Superfly Presents
Superfly Presents is a multi-dimensional entertainment and marketing company comprised of two synergistic businesses: Superfly Events Group, producers of immersive experiences in music, food, wine, beer, and art; and Superfly Marketing Group, which leverages the company's experience, best in class production expertise and industry relationships to develop marketing programs geared towards the passionate, lifestyle consumer.
Renowned for defining experiences for Generation X and Y and redefining the festival format, Superfly is the co-founder and producer of Bonnaroo, the premiere music and arts festival in the United States which Rolling Stone called "one of the 50 moments to change the history of rock and roll". Other Superfly events include: Outside Lands, a groundbreaking music, food, wine and arts festival held in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park and the only major ticketed event in the Park; and Superfly During Jazz Fest, the company's inaugural concert series now in its 15th year. All of these events are widely recognized for being authentic experiences that create a lasting bond and trust between the artists, the fans and the participating brands. Find out more at: www.superflypresents.com.
SOURCE IDG World Expo