MADD Colorado Honors Law Enforcement for Efforts to Eliminate Drunk Driving and Prevent Underage Drinking
DENVER, Sept. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) Colorado, along with its youth volunteers, presented 17 awards to outstanding individuals and teams of Colorado law enforcement officers and agencies who are making a difference in the community, during the 2012 MADD Colorado Law Enforcement Recognition Dinner and Awards Ceremony tonight.
"This is a particularly special event for MADD Colorado," said Carrie Veatch, MADD Colorado Youth Programs Specialist. "Not only do we have the privilege of recognizing the lifesaving efforts of Colorado law enforcement officers and agencies, but we also do so with the enthusiasm of our future leaders – our youth volunteers."
The following winners were chosen based on nominations received from various agencies across the state:
- Outstanding Dedication to Occupant Protection – Agent Charles Vogel, Lakewood Police Department
- Outstanding Dedication to Minor in Possession/Minor in Consumption Enforcement – Officer Josh Larson, Vail Police Department
- Outstanding Military Dedication to Underage Drinking and Impaired Driving Prevention – Officer Paul Engebretson, Fort Carson Police Patrol Branch
- Outstanding Dedication to School Outreach – Trooper Lance Sanchez, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Small Agency) – Officer Matt Jamison, Avon Police Department
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Medium Agency) – Officer Talon Darling, Wheat Ridge Police Department
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Large Agency) – Officer Theodore Young, Denver Police Department
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Colorado State Patrol) – Trooper Lucas Johnson, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Small Agency) – Auraria Police DUI Team
- Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Large Agency) – Gore Range DUI Task Force (Avon Police Department, Colorado State Patrol, Eagle Police Department, Eagle County Sheriff Office, Minturn Police Department, and Vail Police Department,)
- Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Colorado State Patrol) – Troop 5B (Alamosa), Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Drug Recognition Expert – Trooper Rodney Noga, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Victim Advocate – Ms. Ann VanWagner, 1st Judicial District
- Outstanding Prosecutor – Deputy District Attorney Andrew Hall, 3rd Judicial District
- MADD Hero Award – Officer Brian Hunziker, Greeley Police Department
- Dr. Robert E Weltzer Outstanding Dedication to Traffic Safety and DUI Enforcement – Ms. Emily Tompkins, Former MADD Colorado State Executive Director
- Col. Mark V. Trostel Law Enforcement Officer of the Year Award – Officer Mark Ashby, Thornton Police Department
"The Colorado Department of Transportation is proud to partner with MADD to support and recognize the dedicated professionals of Colorado Law Enforcement who are committed to removing impaired drivers from Colorado roadways," said Glenn Davis, Manager of Impaired Driving Programs at CDOT. "These officers are truly saving lives. Their hard work has resulted in the reduction of impaired driving fatalities in Colorado."
This evening's program was presented by the law firm of Bachus & Schanker, MADD Colorado's 2012 Statewide Sponsor, with additional support from the Colorado Department of Transportation and Encana Natural Gas.
About Mothers Against Drunk Driving
Founded by a mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk driver, Mothers Against Drunk Driving® (MADD) is the nation's largest nonprofit working to protect families from drunk driving and underage drinking. MADD also supports drunk and drugged driving victims and survivors at no charge, serving one person every eight minutes at 1-877-MADD-HELP. Learn more at www.madd.org or call 1-877-ASK-MADD.
SOURCE Mothers Against Drunk Driving Colorado