PLEASANTON, Calif., May 12, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Maddie's Fund®, a national family foundation based in Pleasanton, CA, has surprised nine animal welfare leaders with the first ever Maddie Hero Awards for their incredible efforts in animal lifesaving and furthering our no-kill nation mission.
A first of its kind, the prestigious Maddie Hero Award, which comes with a $10K grant for their respective organizations, recognizes and honors the "top dogs" in communities that are not only advancing the welfare of companion animals in the United States, but are leading the way with their innovative ideas, progressive thinking and lifesaving actions. Exemplifying Maddie's Fund's core values of honesty, integrity and mutual respect, these nine individuals are making a difference in the lives of homeless dogs and cats, and are deserving of incredible recognition.
The 2016 Maddie Hero Award recipients awarded at this year's HSUS Animal Care Expo include:
- Heather Cammisa, CAWA, President and CEO, St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center, Madison, NJ
- Joe Elmore, CEO, Charleston Animal Society, North Charleston, SC
- Sherri Franklin, Founder, Muttville Senior Dog Rescue, San Francisco, CA
- Sharon Harmon, CAWA, Executive Director, Oregon Humane Society, Portland, OR
- Dr. Ellen Jefferson, DVM, Executive Director, Austin Pets Alive!, Austin, TX
- Carol Novello, President, Humane Society of Silicon Valley, Milpitas, CA
- Brent Toellner, President and Co-Founder, Kansas City Pet Project, Kansas City, MO
- Scott Trebatoski, MBA, Director, Pet Resource Center, Hillsborough County, Tampa, FL
- Dr. Gary Weitzman, DVM, MPH, CAWA, President and CEO, San Diego Humane Society & SPCA, San Diego, CA
"We congratulate these nine award winners," says Mary Ippoliti-Smith, Executive Leadership Team, Maddie's Fund. "We hope this grant opportunity spotlights the incredible efforts of these men and women, and encourages others in animal welfare to put their innovative thinking into action. Maddie's Fund believes that everyone can make a difference with the tools available right now to become a no-kill nation.
About Maddie's Fund
Maddie's Fund is a family foundation founded in 1994 by Workday co-founder Dave Duffield and his wife, Cheryl, who have endowed the Foundation with more than $300 million. Since then, they have awarded more than $172 million in grants toward increased community lifesaving, shelter medicine education and pet adoptions across the U.S. The Duffields named Maddie's Fund after their Miniature Schnauzer Maddie, who always made them laugh and gave them great comfort. Maddie was with Dave and Cheryl from 1987 – 1997 and continues to inspire them today.
Maddie's Fund is the fulfillment of a promise to an inspirational dog, investing its resources to create a no-kill nation where every dog and cat is guaranteed a healthy home or habitat. #ThanksToMaddie.
Media Contact: Sharon Fletcher
Director of Marketing || 925-310-5458
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/maddies-fund-surprises-industry-super-heroes-with-90k-in-grant-awards-300266412.html
SOURCE Maddie's Fund