SAN DIEGO, March 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Step aside Fido and Fluffy and make way for pint-sized pets during the Petco Small Animal Play Day! Hamsters, guinea pigs, and ferrets may not be referred to as man's best friend, but these tiny animals are a favorite of parents who want to teach children the responsibility of caring for another living creature. To help educate people interested in these companion animals, Petco™ is hosting its "Meet the Critters" Small Animal Play Day event Saturday, March 16 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Guests are invited play with small pets such as guinea pigs and the rest of their furry friends to learn about their individual diet, grooming, and habitat needs.
According to the American Pet Products Association's National Pet Owners Survey, five million households in the United States are home to small animals. The "Meet the Critters" Small Animal Play Day is a great opportunity to interact with these animals and learn more about their physical, mental, social and emotional needs.
Interesting facts about pint-sized pets:
- Ferrets can be walked on a leash.
- A guinea pig likes to keep physically fit from a very early age. They can run when they're only three hours old!
- Baby hamsters are called "puppies."
- Ferrets are actually mammals, not rodents, as some may think. They are cousins of the weasel family.
- Guinea pigs like to be socially engaged and have been known to build strong bonds with not only humans, but other animals too.
- Hamsters are secret burrowers and hoarders. This keeps them emotionally happy since they feel protected.
- Guinea pigs are social animals and speak to each other through 13 distinct noises. These noises range from grunting to shrieking.
- Much like a dog or cat, hamsters can stay mentally alert by being taught his/her name.
For parents looking for fun, educational activities to do with children, further information is available at www.petco.com/kids. Please note, not all Petco locations will feature the ferret. For specific information on individual "Meet the Critters" events, please contact your nearest Petco location.
Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that provides the products, services and advice that make it easier for our customers to be great pet parents. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,200 stores nationwide and in Puerto Rico, including more than 50 Unleashed by Petco locations, a smaller format neighborhood shop, and www.petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has raised more than $100 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support approximately 8,000 local animal welfare groups across the country to help find homes for more than 350,000 animals through in-store adoption events every year.