Mall of America® welcomed 50,000 guests for Race for the Cure on Mother's Day
BLOOMINGTON, Minn., May 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Approximately 50,000 participants gathered at Mall of America® today to honor those affected by breast cancer at the 22nd annual Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure®. Together the group was able to raise approximately $2.5 million for breast cancer research, education, screening and preliminary treatment programs.
Top finishers for the 5K run are as follows:
- Marcus Aberg, 26, of Sweden finishing at 16:02 – top male
- Melissa Gacek, 38, of White Bear Lake, Minn. finishing at 17:54 – top female
- Sarah Wagner, 48, of Eagan, Minn. finishing at 24:42 – top survivor
For additional winners, see below.
Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure is one of the largest 5K runs/fitness walks in the world. It raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.
Of the proceeds raised in the Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure, 75 percent stays in Minnesota to help uninsured and underinsured women in their fight against breast cancer. Proceeds also fund grants for Minnesota breast cancer research teams. The remaining 25 percent of the proceeds fund breast cancer research programs.
Since it's origination in 1983, the Komen Race for the Cure Series has grown from one local race in Dallas with 800 participants to a global series of more than 100 races with more than 1.5 million expected to participate in 2014.
For more information on the Susan G. Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure® visit www.komenminnesota.org
About Mall of America
Mall of America (MOA) is the nation's largest retail and entertainment complex. At 4.87 million square feet, MOA is home to more than 520 world-class shops; Nickelodeon Universe, the nation's largest indoor family amusement park; EMS Entertainment Exhibit Center; SEA LIFE Minnesota Aquarium, a 1.2 million gallon walk-through aquarium; Moose Mountain Adventure Golf; Theatres at Mall of America, a 14-screen movie theater with digital projection including 4K, digital sound and 3D capabilities; and Radisson Blu Mall of America, a 500-room hotel connected by skyway to Mall of America. The Mall opened in August of 1992 and is located in Bloomington, Minn., just minutes from downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. The Mall is currently undergoing a $325 million expansion project on all three levels on the north side. The expansion will include a 342-room JW Marriott hotel, office tower, high-end retailers, new dining options, a tourist welcome center and large event space. Follow Mall of America on Facebook and Twitter or visit our blog.
About Komen Twin Cities Race for the Cure®
The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation was established in 1982 by Nancy Brinker to honor the memory of her sister, Susan G. Komen, who died from breast cancer at age 36. Today, the Komen Foundation is an international organization with more than 100,000 volunteers working through 120 Affiliates in the United States and four countries. The Komen Foundation has raised more than $1 billion toward its mission of eradicating breast cancer as a life-threatening disease by advancing research, education, screening and treatment.
2014 Race for the Cure® 5K run winners
Top Five Male Winners:
- Marcus Aberg, 26, of Sweden finishing at 16:02
- T.J. Schiltz, 18, of Hartland, Minn. finishing at 16:43
- Luke Pedersen, 26, of Richfield, Minn. finishing at 17:50
- Tayor Huffman, 18, of Woodbury, Minn. finishing at 18:06
- Derick Podratz, 39, of Lino Lakes, Minn. finishing at 18:15
Top Five Female Winners:
- Melissa Gacek, 38, of White Bear Lake, Minn. finishing at 17:54
- Donna Philippot, 45, of Minneapolis, Minn. finishing at 20:39
- Manoy Stoesz, 29, of Buffalo, Minn. finishing at 20:50
- Alex Fossum, 18, of Chanhassen, Minn. finishing at 21:22
- Maria Wallace, 14, of Minn. finishing at 21:41
Top Five Survivor Winners:
- Sarah Wagner, 48, of Eagan, Minn. finishing at 24:42
- Linda William-Brettinger, 55, of Eagan, Minn. finishing at 25:54
- Dawn Dibley, 57, of Eagan, Minn. finishing at 26:48
- Courtney Bern, 42, of Golden Valley, Minn. finishing at 26:52
- Nancy Wolter, 55, of Plymouth, Minn. finishing at 27:46
SOURCE Mall of America