The most important facts that residents and businesses need to know about the upcoming 680 area code overlay are:
- Your telephone number, including current area code, will not change.
- You will need to dial area code + telephone number for all calls within and between 315 and 680 area codes starting February 11, 2017.
- You will continue to dial 1+ area code + telephone number for all calls to other area codes (outside of 315 and 680).
- What is now a local call will remain a local call.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911.
- If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 are currently available in your community, you will still dial these numbers with just three digits.
Customers should identify their telephone number as a ten-digit number (area code + 7-digit telephone number), and include the area code when giving the number to their friends, family, business associates and business customers, etc.
Customers should ensure that all services, automatic dialing equipment, applications, software, or other types of equipment recognize the new 680 area code as a valid area code. Some examples are life safety systems, fax machines, Internet dial-up numbers, alarm and security systems, gates, speed dialers, mobile phone contact lists, call forwarding settings, voicemail services and similar functions.
They should also check their business stationery, advertising materials, personal checks, and personal or pet ID tags to ensure the area code is included in their telephone number.
For more information, please visit www.verizon.com/support/residential/areacodes/index.htm, www.verizonwireless.com/315overlay, or the New York Public Service Commission's website at www.dps.ny.gov. If Verizon wireline customers have questions they should call 1-800 VERIZON (837-4966); Verizon Wireless customers should call 1-800-922-0204
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York City, has a diverse workforce of 160,900 and generated nearly $126 billion in 2016 revenues. Verizon operates America's most reliable wireless network, with 114.2 million retail connections nationwide. The company also provides communications and entertainment services over mobile broadband and the nation's premier all-fiber network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers worldwide.
Verizon's Online News Center: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts and other information are available at Verizon's online News Center at www.verizon.com/news/. News releases are also available through an RSS feed. To subscribe, visit www.verizon.com/about/rss-feeds/.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mandatory-10-digit-dialing-begins-february-11-in-central-new-yorks-315-area-code-300404057.html