Man's New Best Friend: TV Is A Constant Companion For U.S. Consumers National Survey Reveals Americans' Surprising TV Habits
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., July 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Move over, Fido. Man has a new best friend. According to a new national consumer study, Americans have redefined their relationships with television, seeing their TV less as an entertainment device and more as a companion, with 60 percent of American consumers leaving the TV on whether they're actively watching or not.
"Today's televisions offer so many viewing innovations that it's no surprise to us that more consumers can't live without them," said David VanderWaal, head of marketing for LG Electronics USA. "Viewing habits have evolved significantly with the help of features like LG Smart TV that make enjoying all the entertainment you want simpler than ever. Today's consumers count on their TVs to be integral parts of their daily lives, and we're pleased that LG TVs play that role."
Key findings of the survey, commissioned by LG Electronics USA, include:
- Pillow Talk: Twenty-two percent of Americans admit to watching or listening to the TV while they are intimate with their partners.
- Rise and shine! More than one-third of Americans (38 percent) turn their televisions on as soon as they wake up.
- Sleep tight! Nearly two-thirds (61 percent) fall asleep with the TV on.
- Honey, I'm home! Nearly half (45 percent) of all Americans switch their televisions on within 15 minutes of arriving home.
- Divided We Watch: For some (35 percent), their relationship with their TV is so strong they'd rather watch the same show at the same time as a family members or roommates, but in a separate room.
- Touchdown! The majority of people (55 percent) talk to the TV during programs and sporting events.
- Nature Calls: Even with the ability to pause live TV, 37 percent of people admit to leaving the door open while in the bathroom so they can keep watching.
- Doggie Daycare: A quarter of respondents (26 percent) leave their TVs on for their pets when they step out.
- Household Soundtrack: Multi-taskers love TV for background noise and leave it on while doing chores (73 percent), cooking (72 percent) and even while working (58 percent).
Have a unique TV viewing habit? Share yours on Twitter and Facebook with #LGTVHabits.
For more information about LG TVs, from new Ultra HDTVs to OLED TVs to Smart TVs (your next best friend), please visit http://www.lg.com/us/tvs.
About LG Electronics USA
LG Electronics USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a $52 billion global force and technology leader in consumer electronics, home appliances and mobile communications. In the United States, LG Electronics sells a range of stylish and innovative home entertainment products, mobile phones, home appliances, commercial displays, air conditioning systems and solar energy solutions, all under LG's "Life's Good" marketing theme. LG Electronics is a 2014 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year. For more information, please visit www.lg.com.
The Survey was completed online among a random sample of 1,004 adults. Interviewing was conducted by Ebiquity, formerly Echo Research, between April 1-5, 2014. The results reported in this release have an overall margin of error of +/- 3.1 (total) at the 95 percent level of confidence.
SOURCE LG Electronics USA, Inc.