ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Marilyn A. Wethekam, a partner with Horwood Marcus & Berk Chtd. in Chicago, has received the Bloomberg BNA 2012 Franklin C. Latcham Award for Distinguished Service in State and Local Taxation.
The award was presented Nov. 29 at a meeting of the Bloomberg BNA Tax Management Multistate Tax Advisory Board in New York City. The Latcham Award is named for Franklin C. Latcham, former Advisory Board chair and founder of the BNA Tax Management State Tax Portfolio Series. The Award has been given to a distinguished state tax practitioner every year since 1996.
"Marilyn has demonstrated how effective state tax compliance begins with smart people," said Paul Frankel, the chairman of Bloomberg BNA's State Tax Advisory Board and partner with Morrison & Foerster in New York.
Wethekam co-chairs Horwood Marcus & Berk's multistate state and local tax practice. Prior to joining the firm, she developed a deep understanding of complex multistate tax issues while working for the Mobile Oil Corporation and Montgomery Ward & Co. She has formulated innovative solutions for multistate tax issues as well as the practical resolution of disputes. Marilyn has devised multistate audit strategies, drafted legislation, and represented multistate corporations in income, franchise, sales and use and miscellaneous tax matters in more than 30 states.
She is an author and frequent lecturer before such groups as the Council on State Taxation, Georgetown University Institute on State and Local Taxation, The Paul J. Hartman State Tax Forum and Tax Executives Institute.
Bloomberg BNA Advisory Board member Harley Duncan said "when I was with the Federation of Tax Administrators, I asked Marilyn many times to talk to tax commissioners about state tax issues." Duncan, a former executive director of FTA who is now with KPMG in Washington, D.C., added that "this is because I knew that she would provide learned, clear, and even-handed explanations that they would understand."
Earlier recipients of the Latcham Award include:
- Richard Pomp, law professor at the University of Connecticut School of Law
- Judge Bill Thompson, chief administrative law judge for the Alabama Department of Revenue
- Prentiss Willson, former national director of Ernst & Young's State and Local Tax Practice and Procedure
- Richard Genetelli, of the Genetelli Consulting Group
- Walter Hellerstein, professor of law at the University of Georgia Law School
- James Buresh, former national partner in charge of sales and use tax practice for Deloitte and Touche
- Jack Cronin, former partner in charge of Deloitte Tax's Multistate Tax Practice
- Jean Walker, retired senior manager with Ernst & Young
- William R. Brown, first executive director of COST
- the late Paull Mines, general counsel with the Multistate Tax Commission
- Joanne Garvey, member of Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe in San Francisco
- William Peltz, senior tax counsel for Shell Oil Corp.;
- Gerald Goldberg, former executive director of the California Franchise Tax Board
- California tax attorney John Warren the late educator and author Jerome Hellerstein
- Eugene Corrigan, first director of the Multistate Tax Commission
Bloomberg BNA, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bloomberg, is a leading source of legal, regulatory, and business information for professionals. Its network of more than 2,500 reporters, correspondents, and leading practitioners delivers expert analysis, news, practice tools, and guidance — the information that matters most to professionals. Bloomberg BNA's authoritative coverage spans the full range of legal practice areas, including tax & accounting, labor & employment, intellectual property, banking & securities, employee benefits, health care, privacy & data security, human resources, and environment, health & safety.
SOURCE Bloomberg BNA