Mars, Incorporated Assists Area of Joplin, Missouri
Mars provides monetary and in-kind donations to aid area affected by tornado
MCLEAN, Va., May 31, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- With more than 260 Associates in Joplin, Mo., Miami, Okla., and Galena, Kan., affected by the May 22 tornado, Mars' Petcare business is a long time member of the community and is contributing to the relief efforts. Across its businesses in the United States, Mars, Incorporated has responded to the disaster through monetary and in-kind donations to help the residents, pets and aid workers in the area totaling more than $380,000 that specifically includes:
- Banfield Pet Hospital, a subsidiary of Mars, has set up a relief fund via Banfield Charitable Trust with more than $18,000 in an initial donation to help pay for veterinary services for Joplin area residents with pets as well as pets left homeless by the tornado
- $50,000 donation to the American Red Cross
- More than 32,000 servings of UNCLE BEN'S® Ready Rice
- Various assortments of chocolate, snack food, gum & confections products
- Nearly 100 tons of PEDIGREE® and WHISKAS® products, 340 bags of ROYAL CANIN®, and more than 43,000 lbs of NUTRO® product to help feed pets in the temporary shelter managed by Coalition for Animal Rescue in Missouri, Missouri Police Canine Association, the ASPCA, the Humane Society and Animal Adoption Rescue Center of Joplin, as well as to Banfield Pet Hospital to help feed displaced and injured pets
"Mars has more than 260 Associates in the Joplin area and is proud to be a part of the local community," said Kelly McGrail, spokeswoman for Mars, Incorporated. "Mars businesses and Associates from across the US have rallied together to provide financial support to emergency response agencies, in-kind donations, and volunteer hours as a demonstration of our commitment to our colleagues and the other residents in and around Joplin. Our hearts go out to all those impacted by this devastating event."
About Mars, Incorporated
In 1911, Frank C. Mars made the first Mars candies in his Tacoma, Washington kitchen and established Mars' first roots as a confectionery company. In the 1920s, Forrest E. Mars, Sr. joined his father in business and together they launched the MILKY WAY® bar. In 1932, Forrest, Sr. moved to the United Kingdom with a dream of building a business based on the philosophy of a "mutuality of benefits" for all stakeholders – this vision serves as the foundation of the Mars, Incorporated we are today. Based in McLean, Virginia, Mars has net sales of more than $30 billion and six business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks and Symbioscience. More than 65,000 Associates worldwide are putting our Mars Principles in action every day to make a difference for people and the planet through our performance.
Mars brands include: Chocolate – M&M'S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®; Petcare – PEDIGREE®, WHISKAS®, SHEBA®, CESAR® and ROYAL CANIN®; Wrigley – ORBIT®, EXTRA®, STARBURST®, DOUBLEMINT® and SKITTLES®; Food – UNCLE BEN'S®, DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS® and SEEDS OF CHANGE®; Drinks – ALTERRA COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA CO.™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience –SERAMIS®, CIRKU™ and COCOAVIA™.
For more information, please visit www.mars.com.
SOURCE Mars, Incorporated
More by this Source
Victoria B. Mars Confirmed As Keynote Speaker For 2014 Great Place To Work® Conference
Nov 21, 2013, 08:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.