Kinoma Create--launched today in a crowdfunding campaign--helps software developers become makers, makers tackle projects with less hassle, and designers prototype products faster
Kinoma Create includes the hardware needed to start creating connected consumer electronics and their companion apps. Kinoma Create integrates a power-efficient CPU; Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity; a capacitive touchscreen; and numerous input/output options for external sensors, LEDs, and input devices. All this is enclosed in a stylish, adaptable case that makes projects portable, and adds polish to product prototype demonstrations.
Kinoma Create is a full hardware-software product expressly designed to help:
- Makers build projects with less hassle, so they can focus on the fun parts of projects instead of the drudgery of starting from zero.
- Designers build products faster by rapidly creating and testing portable prototypes, as well as ship real consumer products on the same platform.
Early-adopters of Kinoma Create have been able to build interesting projects in just a few weeks:
- Ultimate Aquarium Controller (Missouri) – Removable Wi-Fi system for keeping check of temperature, power consumption, salinity, water level, light, and pumps of aquariums.
- Cowboys (Toronto) – Interactive game that tests the strength, intelligence and social media skills of players, as well as how much they've had to drink.
- Reassuring Box (Tokyo) – Home monitoring system that gives piece of mind before leaving the house or going to sleep.
"Kinoma Create is designed to be designed with—a tabula rasa for prototyping. It's flexible and facile, opening new paths to creating everything from personal tinkerings to my research projects to first cuts of new products for testing in our company. It feels inclusive, intuitive, and complete, yet ready to adapt for my (occasionally offbeat) ideas. I'm into rapid sensor integration, and Kinoma Create pushes the boundaries of how quickly I can evolve my projects to get feedback from my teams and users," said Valkyrie Savage, EECS PhD Student and co-founder of Savage Internet.
"Product engineers have been working on fragile development boards with complex embedded tools for too long. It's time for a change. Kinoma Create is the next wave of hardware for developing consumer electronics," commented Peter Hoddie, Marvell's Kinoma VP. "We've rethought the developer experience from the outside in. Innovations in Kinoma Create's case are just a hint at the software innovations inside. We're launching Kinoma Create to help software developers, makers, and product prototypers bring their ideas to life."
- Kinoma Create: The crowdfunding campaign for Kinoma Create is live on Indiegogo, at http://igg.me/at/kinoma. Campaign perk levels are designed to reward early support, educators, and those who would benefit from additional access to the expertise of the Kinoma team.
- Kinoma Studio: Marvell is making Kinoma Studio immediately available as a free download at kinoma.com/studio.
Connect with Kinoma at SXSW 2014
Kinoma Create is featured at SXSW 2014 in Marvell's booth on the tradeshow floor (stand number 135) adjacent to the Next Stage in the Austin Convention Center. An application developed using KPR, Kinoma Connect, is also being demonstrated at Marvell's booth. Additionally, the Kinoma team will be presenting the demo-rich talk "How (And Why!) To Prototype Your Hardware For Your Software" on the Next Stage on Monday March 10 at 3:30PM. For more information: http://schedule.sxsw.com/2014/events/event_OE02853.
The Kinoma group creates consumer electronics products, and helps others to rapidly prototype and create products themselves. The tightly integrated design and engineering team is situated within semiconductor giant Marvell. Marvell acquired Kinoma in 2010 because of the team's proven heritage in software architected for high performance on everything from phones and tablets, to the "Internet of Things" (IoT). For more information, visit kinoma.com.
Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) is a global leader in providing complete silicon solutions and Kinoma software enabling the "Smart Life and Smart Lifestyle." From mobile communications to storage, cloud infrastructure, digital entertainment and in-home content delivery, Marvell's diverse product portfolio aligns complete platform designs with industry-leading performance, security, reliability and efficiency. At the core of the world's most powerful consumer, network and enterprise systems, Marvell empowers partners and their customers to always stand at the forefront of innovation, performance and mass appeal. By providing people around the world with mobility and ease of access to services adding value to their social, private and work lives, Marvell is committed to enhancing the human experience.
As used in this release, the term "Marvell" refers to Marvell Technology Group Ltd. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.Marvell.com.
Marvell, the M logo, Kinoma are registered trademarks of Marvell and/or its affiliates. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
For Further Information Contact:
Marvell Media Relations