Match.com Uncovers The Chicago Singles Scene
Findings Reveal Chicagoans Head to River North to Meet the Hottest Singles and That Summer is the Most Romantic Time of the Year in the City
Chicago's Neighborhood Street Festivals, Restaurant Girl and The Goat Voted Hottest Date-Worthy Destinations
DALLAS, June 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Match.com, the world's largest dating website, has released results from a dating survey taken by over 1,100 single Chicago residents which reveals that River North – already one of the hippest areas in the Windy City – is the best neighborhood for a date. It's no wonder, considering that it was also voted the neighborhood with the hottest single residents!
With summer considered to be the most romantic time of year in Chicago by its single residents, the Match.com survey set out to create the ultimate summer dating guide, helping singles discover the best of this beautiful city and its endless selection of restaurants, lounges, and attractions.
"It's no wonder singles voted summer as the time for love in Chicago," says Bela Gandhi, Chicago Dating Expert for Match.com and founder of SMART Dating Academy. "The city comes to life in the summer months when its singles are enjoying the city's quintessential hotspots, dining at their favorite swanky restaurants, and exploring everything the waterfront city has to offer."
The data shows exactly where Chicago singles look for love, their favorite date-night spots and nearby romantic getaway destinations. The survey also settles the long-standing rivalry between The White Sox and The Cubs – according to Chicago singles, it's the Cubs that have the hottest players amongst these two hometown teams! But when it comes to dating a Chicago celeb, it's having a sense of humor, not sex appeal that matters most – Vince Vaughn and Tina Fey were voted the local celebrities Chicago singles would most want to date.
Below are some of the highlights from the "Chicago Dating" survey, including:
Out On the Town
- All Hail River North: This Windy City area has been deemed by singles to be the best neighborhood for going on a date (30%), ahead of nearby Wicker Park (18%) and Lincoln Park (17%). Not only that, but River North also boasts the hottest singles according to 33% of survey respondents, followed by Lincoln Park (22%).
- Quintessential Chi-Town Dates: Singles in Chicago know how to create a fun and laid-back environment for a date. Going to a neighborhood street festival topped their list as 34% mentioned it as their favorite date, ahead of picnicking at Millennium Park (21%) and an evening of dinner and bar-hopping on Rush Street (20%). Last, but not least is enjoying a night of comedy at Second City Improv (12%), where Saturday Night Live began.
- Restaurant Hot Spots: The Girl & the Goat is the place to impress, as 34% of singles said they'd most want to go on a date there. River North area eatery Japonais came in second at 17%. The worst date spot in the city? Hooters– 55% of singles surveyed said they would never take a date there, and 26% would not bring a date to any of the bars on Division Street.
- Date-Night Nosh: Singles keep it simple and classy with their dinner date cuisines, as 47% of Chicago singles opt for Italian, while hot dogs – not surprisingly – came in dead last, receiving only 1% of the vote.
- Waterfront Wooing: If a romantic night is in the cards, 61% of singles will swoon if they're taken anywhere along Lake Michigan's waterfront, deeming it the most romantic destination in Chicago. If it's a summer date, even better, since 43% of singles think that summer is the most romantic time of year in Chicago.
- Romantic Getaways: When singles look for a place to escape, 42% of them head to Lake Geneva, while 20% say that they don't leave the city at all – rather, they opt for a staycation somewhere along the luxurious Michigan Avenue.
In Good Company
- Sexiest Chicago Professions: Chicago men want to date high-powered, strong women. Of those surveyed, 49% believe advertising executives are the sexiest professionals, followed by doctors (47%) at a close second and professors/teachers coming in third (45%). Women also look for a strong and professional man to partner with, as 63% said they'd prefer an entrepreneur, a doctor (62%), or a lawyer (54%) for a mate.
- Hottest Employees: While singles find high-powered executives or entrepreneurs attractive, they also believe that employees working for United Airlines (43%) and Wrigley Field (30%) are amongst the hottest in Chicago.
Sexiest Chicago Sports Teams & Celebs
- Move Over, White Sox: The Chicago Cubs were voted to have the hottest players by over two-thirds (64%) of Chicago singles!
- Dream Chicagoan Celebrity Date: 40% of women said they'd want to date comedic actor Vince Vaughn more than any other male Chicago celebrity – and that's including Barack Obama (20%) and Bulls legend Michael Jordan (7%). Kanye West (2%) and Hugh Hefner (1%) were not exactly at the top of ladies' minds in this race! Men also went the comic route, choosing SNL alum Tina Fey (32%) over models Jenny McCarthy (29%) and Cindy Crawford (21%) as their dream celeb date.
To celebrate Chicago's dating scene and diverse date-spot favorites, Match.com is hosting Chicago-specific Stir events throughout the summer to incorporate the survey's findings. Coming off its successful inaugural year, Stir offers everything from intimate food and wine tastings to interactive tours and fitness events in order to create new experiences where singles can meet. This summer, Chicago singles can expect events like a city running tour and picnic at Millennium Park, DJ lessons at Scratch DJ Academy, rooftop happy hours at venues like Roof on the Wit and Dish Crawl foodie events. To sign up for these events, singles must first become members by joining at www.match.com.
For an illustrative look at single life in Chicago, visit http://blog.match.com/chicagodating
Founded in 1995, Match.com was the original dating website and pioneer of the online dating industry. Today, 18 years later, Match.com operates leading subscription-based online dating sites in 25 countries, 8 languages and across five continents and is responsible for more dates, relationships and marriages than any other website. Match.com is an operating business of IAC (Nasdaq: IACI) and is headquartered in Dallas, Texas. For more information, visit http://www.match.com.