MCLEAN, Va., Feb. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.), Duncanville (Texas) and St. Mary's (Phoenix) hold strong in the top three positions in the USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 national editorial rankings for girls basketball for the week of Feb. 4, 2013.
The USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 is now in its 30th year as the most prestigious high school ranking platform in the nation. Gatorade is the Official Fuel of the Super 25 rankings platform, which includes computer rankings of every major high school football, baseball, boys and girls basketball and boys and girls lacrosse team in the nation.
Windward (Los Angeles) improved to 23-0 and stays in the No. 4 position, while Riverdale (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) added a 46th consecutive victory to its record and stays in the No. 5 spot this week.
Long Beach Poly (Calif.), which held the No. 8 position in last week's rankings, is the biggest mover in this week's Super 25. The team fell to the No. 16 position this week after losing 50-39 to unranked Troy (Fullerton, Calif.).
Marion County (Lebanon, Ky.), last week's No. 7 team, moved up to the No. 6 slot in this week's Super 25 after defeating Taylor County (Campbellsville, Ky.) and Washington County (Springfield, Ky.). Dutch Fork (Irmo, S.C.) improved two slots to occupy the No. 7 position in this week's rankings, while Shabazz (Newark, N.J.)—last week's No. 10 team—added three wins and moved into the No. 8 position.
Paul VI (Fairfax, Va.) fell from No. 6 to the No. 10 position after losing in overtime, 70-69, to then-No. 11 St. John's (Washington, D.C.). St. John's moved up to No. 9 this week.
Last week's No. 17 team, Riverdale Baptist (Upper Marlboro, Md.), suffered a loss that knocked it out of the rankings completely, while Montini (Lombard, Ill.) debuts as the No. 25 team in this week's Super 25.
Following is the complete listing of this week's USA TODAY High School Sports girls basketball rankings.
USA TODAY High School Sports
High School Girls Basketball Super 25
For Week of February 4, 2013
- Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif. (23-0)
- Duncanville, Texas (34-0)
- St. Mary's, Phoenix (22-1)
- Windward, Los Angeles (23-0)
- Riverdale, Murfreesboro, Tenn. (23-0)
- Marion County, Lebanon, Ky. (27-0)
- Dutch Fork, Irmo, S.C. (22-0)
- Shabazz, Newark (19-0)
- St. John's, Washington, D.C. (21-1)
- Paul VI, Fairfax, Va. (23-1)
- Columbus (Ind.) North (23-0)
- Hopkins, Minnetonka, Minn. (18-1)
- Parkview, Lilburn, Ga. (23-0)
- Myers Park, Charlotte (20-0)
- Pflugerville, Texas (32-0)
- Long Beach Poly (20-4)
- Bishop O'Dowd, Oakland (17-3)
- St. Mary's, Stockton, Calif. (22-1)
- Incarnate Word, St. Louis (21-0)
- Edwardsville, Ill. (25-0)
- Martin Luther King, Detroit (13-0)
- Southwood, Shreveport, La. (25-1)
- Twinsburg, Ohio (19-0)
- North Gwinnett, Suwanee, Ga. (21-1)
- Montini, Lombard, Ill. (28-1)
For more information on the Super 25, visit USA TODAY High School Sports.
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group encompasses all sports initiatives across USA TODAY Sports and Gannett's more than 100 well-known local media brands. It also includes the sports photography service USA TODAY Sports Images, USA TODAY High School Sports and the hundreds of sites within USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties such as thebiglead.com and mixed martial arts site MMAjunkie.com, among others. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
SOURCE USA TODAY Sports Media Group