LAS VEGAS and PETERBOROUGH, N.H., April 24, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The SDE 2017 National Conference will feature a strand dedicated to teaching K–5 math offering a special limited-seating keynote and book-signing by international math education authority Jo Boaler. The Teaching Math strand will include sessions on small-group strategies, math interventions and enrichment, motivating and engaging learners, and number sense and early numeracy. The National Conference hosted by Staff Development for Educators (SDE) will be held July 10–14, 2017, in Las Vegas, NV.
"Over four fast-paced days, attendees will explore timely math content strategies, take part in hands-on sessions, and learn how to implement math best practices, including Singapore Math. All the learning takes place in an environment that is fun, upbeat, and supportive," Kendra Fowler, SDE program developer, says.
The 90+ sessions will be packed with classroom-proven strategies and innovation ideas to help strengthen instructional practice and provide new and engaging ways to teach math. Highlighted sessions include:
- Solving Word Problems: Every Student Can Be a Persistent, Flexible Thinker (Gr. K-5) demonstrates how to present number sense problems that extend students' knowledge in ways that make sense to them.
- Computation: From Conceptual to Procedural Understanding examines what number sense is, the importance of math and questioning, and shifts needed in classrooms to help students succeed in computation.
- Problems Worth Puzzling Over (Gr. K-2) focuses on how to embrace making sense of numbers, composing/decomposing, and logical thinking with problems that require reasoning and perseverance.
- Developing Algebraic Reasoning with Number Tiles Number Line Math Activities (Gr. K-2) shows how to improve students' algebraic thinking through the use of number tiles. Learn where and how to fit them into instruction to build strong mathematicians.
- Math Tasks to Support the 8 Mathematical Practices (Gr. 3-5) examines what a rich task is and how to incorporate tasks into the classroom to integrate the mathematical practices and bring them to life in lessons.
"Math does not have to be the dullest subject of the day. It can, in fact, actually be taught in ways that are fun and meaningful. By attending this event, our hope is that math educators will look at math through a different lens and recognize the endless opportunities to create a community of persistent and flexible mathematical thinkers," Fowler adds.
To register for SDE's national conferences and pre-conferences, upcoming PD events, or other professional development opportunities, visit www.SDE.com, call 1-800-462-1478, or email email@example.com.
SDE is one of America's leading providers of professional development for PreK through Grade 12 educators. Through Onsite PD, PD Events, Web-Based PD, and PD Resources, the company empowers teachers and administrators across the country with ongoing professional development that is not only research-based, innovative, and rigorous, but also practical, motivating, and fun. All SDE training is presented by the nation's top authors and educational experts, with the goal of creating extraordinary classrooms that prepare students for the evolving demands of the 21st century.
For more information about SDE, educators are encouraged to visit www.sde.com, or to call 1-800-462-1478.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/math-experts-to-explore-small-group-strategies-interventions-singapore-math-motivating-learners-and-more-at-sde-2017-national-conference-300443471.html
SOURCE Staff Development for Educators