PARIS, May 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
Mauna Kea Technologies (Euronext: MKEA, OTCQX: MKEAY) inventor of Cellvizio®, the multidisciplinary confocal laser endomicroscopy platform, announced that its Cellvizio platform was specifically featured in a symposium today at the 2016 World Congress for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology ("WCBIP") meeting being held in Florence, Italy from May 8-11. The symposium, which was organized by the WCBIP, covered probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy (pCLE) for use in the respiratory tract, interstitial lung diseases, COPD, and lung transplants.
Today's symposium was titled "Probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy" and was chaired by Prof. Luc Thiberville from Rouen University Hospital in France and Dr. Jonas Yserbyt from University Hospitals Leuven in Belgium. The symposium included three presentations:
- "pCLE of the respiratory tract: technique and normal findings" presented by Prof. Thiberville;
- "The role of pCLE in interstitial lung diseases and COPD" presented by Dr. Salaun from Rouen University Hospital in France;
- "pCLE in lung transplant recipients" presented by Dr. Yserbyt.
Sacha Loiseau, Ph.D., Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Mauna Kea Technologies said, "The World Congress for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology is a major meeting for specialists in the field from around the world. We are pleased that they included pCLE enabled by our Cellvizio platform as one of their key symposiums during the conference. It provides strong recognition for our technology and its application to lung diseases, imaging a variety of respiratory diseases at the cellular level and monitoring of transplant recipients."
In addition, Dr. David Wilson, President and CEO of Respiratory Critical Care Associates in Columbus, IN, participated in a symposium titled "New frontiers in Interventional Pulmonology: are we on the verge of clinical paradigm shifts?" with a keynote presentation titled "Electromagnetic Navigated Bronchoscopy and confocal endomicroscopy: future directions and newer modalities."
Dr. Wilson declared: "With the advent of better lung cancer screening and novel, minimally invasive therapeutic options for patients, there is a growing need for real-time cellular level characterization as provided by probe-based Confocal Laser Endomicroscopy. This year's WCBIP pCLE program is a strong tribute to the hard work that investigators around the world have been producing for the past decade on this essential topic."
At the WCBIP, clinical investigators from multiple countries presented in poster and oral session presentations results on their use of pCLE for various lung conditions:
- Dr. Adam Wellikoff of Medical Specialists of the Palm Beaches in West Palm Beach, FL, presented in an oral session titled "Impact of confocal endomicroscopy on the yield of transbronchial biopsies obtained via navigation";
- Dr. Yuji Matsumoto of the Department of Endoscopy, Respiratory Endoscopy Division at the National Cancer Center Hospital in Tokyo, Japan presented in an oral session titled "Diagnostic utility of probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy for peripheral pulmonary lesions";
- Dr. Kazuyoshi Imaizumi, Professor of the Division of Respiratory Medicine and Clinical Allergy at of the Fujita Health University in Nagoya, Japan, presented a poster titled "Probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy (pCLE) for early stage pulmonary alveolar proteinosis";
- Dr. Kiyoshi Shibuya of the Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine at Chiba University in Chiba, Japan presented a poster titled "Fluorescein-aided probe-based confocal laser endomicroscopy (pCLE) for detection of lung cancer".
About Mauna Kea Technologies
Mauna Kea Technologies is a global medical device company focused on eliminating uncertainties related to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer thanks to real time in vivo microscopic visualization. The Company's flagship product, Cellvizio, has received clearance to sell a wide range of applications in more than 40 countries, including the United States, Europe, Japan, China, Canada, Brazil and Mexico.
For more information on Mauna Kea Technologies, visit www.maunakeatech.com
Mauna Kea Technologies
Zack Kubow / Lee Roth
The Ruth Group
646-536-7020 / 7012
France and Europe
NewCap - Investor
SOURCE Mauna Kea Technologies