Maxim Healthcare Services Enters Into Settlement Agreements
COLUMBIA, Md., Sept. 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Healthcare Services, Inc. has entered into agreements with the federal government and involved states to resolve allegations of false claims related to certain Medicaid and Department of Veteran Affairs payments received from October 1998 through May 2009.
As part of this settlement, the company has entered into a Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA) with the United States Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey (USAONJ), a Corporate Integrity Agreement (CIA) with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and civil settlement agreements with the United States of America and involved states.
Primary areas of focus included documentation, training, licensing, and billing. The agreement, does however, specifically state that Maxim's conduct did not adversely affect patient health or patient care.
"We take full responsibility for these events set forth in the Deferred Prosecution Agreement and we are pleased to reach a settlement that will allow us to move forward with the important work of caring for our patients and clients who depend on us each and every day," said Maxim CEO Brad Bennett.
As noted in the DPA, the settlement was reached in large part due to the extensive reforms and remedial actions the Company has taken since 2009. These reforms and remedial actions were initiated with the appointment of a new Chief Executive Officer in October 2009, and have continued over the following two years and include:
- Terminating senior executives and other employees the Company identified as responsible for the misconduct, as well as those deemed not living up to the Company's new Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Establishing the position of a Chief Compliance Officer (CCO). The CCO is responsible for the development, oversight, and management of the company's compliance and ethics program, including all compliance initiatives, internal audits, and training. In 2010, the Company appointed a CCO who has years of experience working with the OIG and DOJ. Specifically, the CCO represented the OIG in partnership with the DOJ, in negotiating, investigating, and resolving False Claims Act cases. In addition, while working for the OIG, the CCO reviewed compliance programs, drafted and negotiated Corporate Integrity Agreements (CIAs), monitored compliance with CIAs by conducting provider site visits and reviewing annual reports. Since joining Maxim, the CCO has directed the Company's new and comprehensive Compliance and Ethics Program.
- Establishing new positions or replacing existing positions at Maxim with established healthcare industry veterans, the majority of whom have previously operated under a CIA. These new or replacement positions include:
- Chief Operations Officer-Homecare
- Chief Clinical Officer
- Vice President and General Counsel
- Chief Quality Officer/Chief Medical Officer
- Chief Culture Officer
- Chief Financial and Strategy Officer
- Vice President of Human Resources
- Vice President and Chief Information Officer
- Creating a Clinical Education Department to offer more than 85 training courses to our clinicians and staff. Since August 2010, employees have successfully completed more than 850,000 courses.
- Updating or revising more than 120 policies and procedures, with training on each policy provided for all affected office employees.
- Enhancing patient care services by adding 85 Directors of Clinical Services and nearly 450 new Clinical Supervisors and Case Managers. These employees manage clinical care at the local offices and monitor the quality of service delivered.
- Developing and launching Maxim's first set of core values in addition to enhanced Mission and Vision statements.
- Doubling the size of our Compliance and Ethics Department so that Maxim could introduce a comprehensive, companywide Compliance and Ethics Program (that includes annual compliance training for all employees).
- Adding new software systems to support compliance and enhance patient care.
- Restructuring our compensation and talent management programs to recognize employees for excellence in a variety of areas, including clinical outcomes and compliance.
"Over the past two years, we have worked diligently to build an infrastructure of systems, policies, and controls to ensure that employees at every level of the organization not only adhere to all applicable laws and regulations, but also honor our company's own protocols and Code of Conduct. Today we operate on a solid foundation with an infrastructure designed to ensure high quality patient care and client services." said Maxim CEO Brad Bennett. "While we regret the circumstances that led to these agreements, the resulting enhancements have clearly made Maxim a better and stronger company. Most importantly, at Maxim there is now a renewed commitment to the highest standards of conduct and consistent delivery of high quality patient care," concluded Bennett. "This marks the beginning of a new chapter for our company, and Maxim's commitment to serving our patients and clients has never been stronger."
To learn more about the leadership appointments that are part of Maxim's overall strategy to strengthen its mission to provide reliable, safe and patient-centered care through innovation and efficient care delivery models, please visit www.maximhealthcare.com/about-us/maxim-leadership.aspx.
Maxim Healthcare Services
Maxim Healthcare Services, Inc. provides, home healthcare, medical staffing, and wellness services across the U.S. Founded in 1988, Maxim is focused on delivering quality patient care and a commitment to employee development with an emphasis on customer service. Today Maxim is an established partner in the industry and is constantly evolving to address the needs of the healthcare industry. We regularly research new markets, expand our geographical presence, and diversify our client services. Our innovative approach to managing our clients' needs is the foundation for our success. Learn more about Maxim Healthcare Services or read about Maxim Healthcare jobs.
SOURCE Maxim Healthcare Services, Inc.