Maxim Integrated Offers a Highly Integrated 8-Bit RGB Laser Driver for Automotive Projectors
RGB laser driver for heads-up displays lowers power and cost, and shrinks size compared to LED-driven pico projectors.
SAN JOSE, Calif., Jan. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) today announced that it is now sampling the MAX3601, a highly integrated, 8-bit RGB laser driver for pico laser projectors in automobiles. It is a smaller size, brighter light, and lower cost solution than traditional technology, and it enables sharper, pixel-perfect heads-up displays (HUD) in automobiles.
This IC drives three RGB lasers to provide a brighter light without compromising the low power. The high intensity of the lasers project brighter, more vivid images onto the HUD to easily alert the driver while enhancing safety. In addition, its high integration means longer battery life, less heat build-up, and a smaller module size.
- Low cost: minimized PCB area with functional integration; three current-output laser drivers combined into one laser
- Low power: with only 80mW bias current, the device achieves maximum light output with excellent power efficiency
- Small size and easier design/manufacturing: three integrated lasers eliminate the need for additional optics
- High efficiency: less than 1W total module power provides long battery life, low heat dissipation, and minimal thermal sinking
- "The MAX3601 laser driver keeps drivers clean, conscious, and connected," said Mike Roberts, Executive Business Manager at Maxim Integrated. "Clean as in green, conscious as in safe, and connected as in infotainment. Maxim's new laser-based technology provides lower power and brighter, more visible alerts for safety and infotainment."
- "One of the key trends for automotive displays is higher resolution," said Richard Robinson, Director of Automotive Analysis at Strategy Analytics. "Sharper imagery in heads-up displays is critical for clarity, safety, and driver assistance applications."
Availability and Pricing
- Available in 3mm x 3.5mm, 42-bump WLP and 5mm x 5mm, 40-pin TQFN packages.
- TQFN package specified over the -40 degrees C to +105 degrees C temperature range.
- Pricing starts at $3.94 (1000-up, FOB USA, TQFN package).
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
More by this Source
Maxim Integrated To Issue $500 Million Of Senior Notes
Nov 14, 2013, 16:01 ET
Maxim Integrated To Present At Upcoming Investor Conferences
Nov 14, 2013, 16:00 ET
Factories Turn to Integrated System Designs to Improve Operation, Save Power and Time
Oct 28, 2013, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.