Maxim Integrated's 12/16-Channel Analog Front-Ends (AFEs) Double Accuracy While Reducing Battery-Management Systems Cost by up to 35%
High-accuracy AFEs integrate simultaneous cell voltage sampling to improve state-of-charge prediction and maximize battery pack longevity.
SAN JOSE, Calif., April 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) announced it is sampling the MAX14920/MAX14921, high-accuracy, 12/16-channel cell-measurement analog front-ends (AFEs) that lower battery-management electronics costs by up to 35%. These devices double the accuracy of cell voltage readings through the use of high-accuracy common-mode level shifting and an integrated high-precision amplifier that simplifies ADC data conversion.
Higher accuracy improves state-of-charge determination and cell balancing that in turn lengthen the life of rechargeable Lithium-ion (Li+) battery packs and maximize available energy, especially important for modern battery chemistries that exhibit flat voltage discharge curves, such as those with LiFePO4 cathodes. The MAX14920/MAX14921 enable the industry's highest accuracy cell voltage measurements (±0.5mV, max). Ideal for 48V to 65V pack voltages required in uninterruptible power-supply (UPS) systems, smart grid energy-storage packs, and telecom power backup-battery packs, the MAX14921 eliminates up to two 6-channel AFEs required for 13S-16S channel battery packs.
- Highest accuracy: increases individual cell accuracy; improves cell balancing.
- Lower cost: one chip supports battery management of up to 16 cell packs.
- Flexible solution: suitable for use in both lower cost applications (using the ADC integrated in a microcontroller) and higher accuracy applications (utilizing an external ADC).
- "We strategically integrated only the cell voltage sampling and a high precision amplifier to optimize accuracy, while also enabling system flexibility," said Tim Leung, Business Manager at Maxim Integrated. "With a flexible battery-management system (BMS) design that can be reused from 3 to 16 channels, we enable optimized front-end solutions based on individual system requirements and cost. This also provides a time-to-market advantage."
- "Battery management solutions are growing 10% a year due to the need for secure power for cloud servers. Maxim's new solution fills a need for that market where cost and time to market is becoming more important," said Susie Inouye, Research Director at Databeans, a market research firm tracking power management.
Availability, Pricing, and Temperature Range:
- Available in a 64-pin (10mm x 10mm) TQFP package.
- Pricing starts at $5.04 (1000-up, FOB USA).
- Available in an 80-pin (12mm x 12mm) TQFP package.
- Pricing starts at $6.15 (1000-up, FOB USA).
Both devices operate over the -40°C to +85°C extended temperature range.
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
More by this Source
Achieve High Energy-Measurement Accuracy with Highly Integrated Single-Phase Metering SoC
Apr 14, 2014, 09:00 ET
Maxim Schedules Conference Call For Fiscal 2014 Third Quarter Financial Results
Apr 03, 2014, 16:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.