SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) introduces the MAX3711 laser driver/limiting amplifier combo chip with both automatic power control (APC) and extinction ratio control (ERC). The device is compatible with the DS1886, a small form factor pluggable (SFP) and passive optical network (PON) optical network unit (ONU) controller and diagnostic monitor. Together, this unique, highly integrated chipset simplifies optical module manufacturing and can reduce the cost of production.
The MAX3711 provides a highly integrated, low-cost, and high-performance PMD solution. It includes a novel laser auto-calibration mode to improve manufacturing cost and quality. An integrated 3-wire digital interface controls the laser driver and limiting amplifier functions, and enables communication with the DS1886. The DS1886 offers fixed state-machine stability to improve application quality.
MAX3711 Key Advantages
- Industry's lowest 75mA current consumption improves module thermal performance
- An integrated modulation current control loop eliminates the need for temperature lookup tables (LUTs) controlling the modulation current
- Laser auto-calibration mode to improve manufacturing cost and module quality
- Integrated APC and ERC loops operate over a wide data range from 155Mbps to 3.125Gbps
DS1886 Key Advantages
- Temperature LUT compensates for APC tracking errors and dual closed-loop variables
- Flexible password scheme provides three levels of security
- Meets all SFF-8472 control and monitoring requirements
- Extinction ratio (dual-loop) control eliminates the need for software development
- DDM and host interface compatible with industry-leading DS1856 dual resistors
- "This is a next-generation, high-performance chipset that builds on the successful Maxim SFP range with higher integration, lower costs, and low power," said Simon McCaul, Senior Business Manager at Maxim Integrated. "Time to market is reduced since the state-machine-based DS1886 eliminates the need for software development."
- "Optical module manufacturers have been under pressure to reduce product pricing for years, but the first half of 2012 was really brutal," said Vladimir Kozlov, Founder and CEO of LightCounting Market Research. "The release of this chipset is very timely, as improvements in quality and reliability translate into lower manufacturing costs, helping many suppliers in the industry."
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX3711 is offered in a small 4mm x 4mm, 24-pin TQFN package with exposed pad.
- The MAX3711 operates over the -40°C to +95°C temperature range.
- The DS1886 operates over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.