BENTON HARBOR, Mich., Nov. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Maytag® brand and Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) announced the selection of five finalists in the 2013 Maytag Dependable Leader Awards – America's Vote competition. The Dependable Leader Awards recognize Boys & Girls Club professionals and volunteers who are committed to making a difference in the lives of youth, and are dependable and exceptional role models. America's Vote is an extension of the Dependable Leader Awards, inviting people across the U.S. to select the final Maytag Dependable Leader Award winner in 2013 by voting online at www.bgca.org/Maytag.
The 2013 America's Vote finalists are:
- Nate Ford, Citywide Athletics Director - Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco, Calif. – Nate singlehandedly oversees the athletics programs at all nine San Francisco Clubhouses. His programs help Club members achieve their academic potential and show good character and sportsmanship, and include Girls Sports Day, and citywide sport events like Pitch, Hit and Run and Junior Olympics.
- Ricky Gallon, Community Relations Director - Boys & Girls Clubs of Tampa Bay, Fla. – Ricky, a former Club member himself, works tirelessly finding innovative ways to ensure youth are being touched by culturally diverse opportunities. He helps kids apply for college scholarships, engages companies to conduct school supply drives, and personally drives kids to special events.
- Ethan Harris, Club Member - Boys & Girls Club of Bryant, Ark. – Ethan is a 10-year old boy who works determinedly to do what he can to help the Club. From assisting staff members, to speaking to the Board of Community Directors about his Club, he constantly seeks to pitch in and make improvements. Through the "It Just Takes One Kid's Campaign," Ethan raised over $1,000 for his Club through an event he organized on his own.
- Albert Hernandez, Technology Director - Boys & Girls Club of Pasadena, Calif. – Albert works to enrich the Club experience by implementing innovative programs. His accomplishments to date include a national photography program, initiating an Internet Safety Workshop around issues such as bullying and privacy, as well as implementing the RoboTech program. He also created a program where his Club joined forces with Yahoo! to create the Yahoo! E-Mentoring Club.
- Steve "Papaw Steve" Hixson, Former Board of Directors President - Boys & Girls Clubs of Cleveland, Tenn. – Steve has headed a majority of fundraising events since 2005. In 2011 he was instrumental in reaching $100,000 in fundraising dollars. He also works to mentor Club members individually and through his work growing the focus and prioritizing the "Youth of the Year" competition.
"This is the first year Maytag and Boys & Girls Clubs of America have been given the honor of selecting the final winner of the Maytag Dependable Leader Awards to the general public," said William Beck, senior brand director, Maytag. "All of the America's Vote finalists are making enormous impacts within their respective communities. We are eager to see which finalist America chooses."
The winner of America's Vote will join 24 other Dependable Leaders across the country also honored this year. In recognition of their achievements, they each received a $20,000 financial grant to help his/her Club deepen its impact in its community. The Maytag Dependable Leader Award allows Maytag brand to give back to Boys & Girls Clubs professionals, Club youth and volunteers who continue to give tirelessly of themselves to the Clubs and the youth they work with.
Starting at 12:00 AM (EST) on Nov. 12 through midnight, Nov. 29, people can visit www.bgca.org/Maytag to learn more about each of the five finalists and the exemplary work they are doing in their communities. They can then vote for the finalist that they believe stands out as a Maytag Dependable Leader. Voting is limited to one vote per email address per day.
"America's Vote provides a truly engaging way to showcase and honor the work that Boys & Girls Clubs professionals, Club youth and volunteers are doing every day to help youth across the country achieve great futures," said Jim Clark, president and CEO of Boys & Girls Clubs of America. "We are excited to see each of the finalists' local Clubs and communities, as well as people across the U.S. rally around these exceptional leaders to select the final recipient of the Maytag Dependable Leader Award and grant."
Boys & Girls Clubs provides services and support to enable youth to reach their full potential as high-performing adults. With a heritage of dependability dating back more than 100 years, the Maytag brand mission is to build high-performing products consumers can count on. The partnership between Maytag and BGCA seeks to recognize and promote dependability – a quality that is at the core of what the Club's staff and volunteers do every day and is central to Maytag brand.
About Maytag Brand
For more than a century, Maytag brand appliances have been synonymous with dependability and durability. Through the commitment of Whirlpool Corporation, Maytag brand's enduring tradition of quality production and performance continues to thrive. Exceptionally durable, commercial-grade components are found in many Maytag brand appliances – including Maytag® Maxima® front-load and Maytag® Bravos® top-load washers and dryers. Maytag brand is part of the Whirlpool Corporation, the world's leading manufacturer and marketer of major home appliances, with annual sales of approximately $18 billion in 2012, 68,000 employees, and 65 manufacturing and technology research centers around the world. For more information on any Maytag brand appliance, visit www.maytag.com.
About Boys & Girls Clubs of America
For more than 100 years, Boys & Girls Clubs of America (GreatFutures.org) has enabled young people most in need to achieve great futures as productive, caring, responsible citizens. Today, more than 4,000 Clubs serve some 4 million young people annually through Club membership and community outreach. Clubs are located in cities, towns, public housing and on Native American lands throughout the country, and serve military families in BGCA-affiliated Youth Centers on U.S. military installations worldwide. They provide a safe place, caring adult mentors, fun, friendship, and high-impact youth development programs on a daily basis during critical non-school hours. Priority programs emphasize academic success, good character and citizenship, and healthy lifestyles. In a Harris Survey of alumni, 57 percent said the Club saved their lives. National headquarters are located in Atlanta. Learn more at www.bgca.org/facebook and bgca.org/twitter.
SOURCE Maytag Brand