SPARKS, Md., Dec. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/-- Marking its 125th year as a food industry innovator, McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE: MKC), a global leader in flavor, kicked off a yearlong celebration today of the tastes that bring us together with the unveiling of its McCormick® Flavor Forecast® 2014: 125th Anniversary Edition.
The report, developed annually by McCormick experts around the world, highlights five top food trends and more than a dozen emerging flavors predicted to impact the way we eat in the coming years. First launched in 2000, this anniversary edition explores how today's unparalleled connectivity is driving faster-than-ever adoption of new trends and tastes around the globe.
One such trend is the growing obsession with chilies. "Everywhere we looked, people have a growing fascination with the delicious range of flavors and heat chile peppers deliver," said Kevan Vetter, McCormick's Executive Chef. "In the U.S., cooks are embracing exciting new varieties like the aji amarillo from Peru, which is prized for its sizzling heat and surprisingly full-bodied, fruity notes."
These emerging trends and flavors highlighted in the McCormick Flavor Forecast 2014 offer a taste of what's next on the global menu:
5 TOP TRENDS
- Chilies Obsession: Food lovers everywhere are seeking out their next big chile thrill.
- Modern Masala: Indian food is finally having its moment, breaking free of its traditional confines with modern interpretations.
- Clever Compact Cooking: Proving that big flavors can come from small spaces, cooks in urban kitchens are making the most of what's available.
- Mexican World Tour: Mexican flavors are making their way around the globe, with people everywhere discovering new aspects of this bright, casual cuisine.
- Charmed by Brazil: The world's attraction to Brazilian cuisine is heating up, thanks to its seductive mix of global and native influences.
5 TOP FLAVORS
- Aji Amarillo: A hot Peruvian yellow chile with bold, fruity flavor.
- Kashmiri Masala: An often homemade blend of spices from northern India featuring cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves and ginger.
- Tea: Not just for sipping anymore, this natural ingredient is making its way into rubs, broths and marinades.
- Chamoy Sauce: A unique Mexican condiment—made from apricot, lime, chilies and spices—just beginning to gain a following in the U.S.
- Cassava Flour: Also known as manioc or tapioca flour, this gluten-free alternative is a Brazilian staple prized for its versatility.
Visit www.FlavorForecast.com for 12 more flavors to watch in 2014 and beyond.
THE FLAVOR OF TOGETHER
The McCormick Flavor Forecast 2014: 125th Anniversary Edition is launching with McCormick's Flavor of Together program. As part of a yearlong effort, 125 flavor ambassadors from North America are bringing the insights to life online at www.FlavorofTogether.com.
Additionally, McCormick is inviting consumers to share their own stories about connecting with others over flavor. For every story shared on any of McCormick's brand websites or social channels, McCormick will donate $1, up to $1.25 million, to United Way to help feed those in need.
About Flavor Forecast
Since 2000, McCormick has been on the forefront of identifying emerging culinary trends through its signature Flavor Forecast, a delicious expression of our passion for flavor. This annual look at the future of flavor is highly anticipated, acting as a catalyst for innovation within the broader food industry. The Flavor Forecast makes a difference in the way people create and experience food around the world. Visit www.flavorforecast.com for more information.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor with more than $4 billion in annual sales. McCormick manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses – in more than 110 countries. Since Willoughby M. McCormick founded the company selling root beer extract in 1889, McCormick has demonstrated a strong commitment to the communities in which it operates and the planet as a whole. Innovation in flavor and a clear focus on employee engagement and product quality has allowed McCormick to grow its business globally and become the flavor leader it is today. For more information, visit www.mccormickcorporation.com.