MD Now® Urgent Care Releases Top 6 Health Predictions for 2014
Largest urgent care company in Florida identifies health trends to watch in the coming year.
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla., Dec. 31, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- MD Now Medical Centers, the fastest growing independent provider of urgent care in South Florida today released its 2014 health predictions.
"The Affordable Health Act has ushered in a new type of patient – one more involved, educated and active in their own healthcare. Patients now seek the most affordable care possible and understand that the doctor-patient relationship with a single doctor has changed," said Peter Lamelas, M.D. and CEO of MD Now Urgent Care. "While health-related issues may increase this year, changes in the healthcare delivery system and medical science will certainly escalate. It's going to be an exciting year."
MD Now Urgent Care predicts the following issues are the ones to watch:
- Flu season whoops a powerful punch – the 2012-2013 flu season claimed 164 children, making it one of the worst in recent history. The influenza virus is most devastating to the young and old, so with an aging population, getting a flu shot will be more important than ever.
- More affordable healthcare settings proliferate – a move away from hospitals to more community-based options like urgent care.
- Cost shifting – patients will see higher co-pays and deductibles with overall patient responsibility increasing across the board, especially for emergency rooms and other costly care settings.
- Diabetes increases – risks of early-onset diabetes increases with exposure to maternal diabetes; overall increases in adult diabetes is creating an increase in diabetes diagnosis and treatment at younger ages.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) climbs in young adults – chlamydia and gonorrhea will increase in the young. Women carry the most long-term health problems as the result of STDs.
- Prescription drug abuse increases – prescription painkillers will remain a serious problem. One in 10 Americans are reported using prescription drugs prescribed to someone else.
About MD Now Urgent Care Centers
MD NOW® Urgent Care Walk-In Medical Centers, the leading provider of urgent care medical services in Palm Beach, Broward & Miami-Dade County, Florida, offering urgent care, primary care, occupational medicine, physical therapy and comprehensive healthcare services. MD NOW® Urgent Care has multiple convenient locations, open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., 365 days/year. Call; 888-MDNow-911, online; www.MyMDNow.com.
SOURCE MD Now Medical Centers
More by this Source
MD Now® Readies for Onslaught of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Exams
Dec 30, 2013, 20:22 ET
MD Now® Urgent Care Expands Footprint in Broward County
Feb 11, 2014, 23:55 ET
MD Now® Urgent Care Answering Need for Emergency Room Alternatives
Jan 27, 2014, 23:55 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.