MEDIA AVAILABILITY ALERT: Arizonans Affected by Gun Violence in Washington This Week to Demand That Congress Take Action to End Gun Violence
Emily Nottingham , Mother of Gabe Zimmerman , Killed in Tucson Shooting, Will Attend the State of the Union with Representative Kyrsten Sinema
More than 120 Survivors and Family Members in DC as Part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns' Demand A Plan Campaign; www.DemandAPlan.org
WASHINGTON, Feb. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Arizonans affected by gun violence will be part of more than 120 survivors and family members in Washington this week as part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns' Demand A Plan campaign for common-sense gun law reforms that will help end the gun violence that kills 33 Americans every day. Survivors and family members are coming from 21 states and Washington, DC.
Emily Nottingham , mother of Gabe Zimmerman , a staffer of former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords who was killed in the Tucson shooting, will attend the State of the Union with Representative Kyrsten Sinema .
As part of their meetings with members of Congress this week, survivors and family members will advocate for legislation that will:
- Require every gun buyer to pass a criminal background check
- Get military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines off our streets
- Make gun trafficking a federal crime.
- Col. Bill and Sallie Badger , Tucson shooting survivor
- Nancy Bowman , Tucson shooting survivor
- Carol Cecilia Gaxiola , mother of daughter killed by gun violence
- Kristy Elaine Johnson , relatives killed by gun violence
- Lisa Kiser , was present when University of Arizona professors were killed by gun violence
- Patricia Maisch , Tucson shooting survivor
- Mary C. Reed and Thomas McMahon , Tucson shooting survivors
- Emily Nottingham , mother of Gabe Zimmerman , Giffords staffer killed
- Kelly O'Brien, fiance of Gabe Zimmerman , Giffords staffer killed
- Chad Robinson , grandfather was killed in Tucson shooting
- Faith Salzgeber , Tucson shooting survivor
- Pamela Simon , former Giffords staffer and survivor of Tucson shooting
- Mavy Stoddard , husband was killed in Tucson shooting
- Vicki Lynne Walker , relatives killed by gun violence
- Pat Yuhas , grandchildren killed by gun violence
WHEN: Monday-Wednesday, February 11-13, 2013
*** Please contact Mayors Against Illegal Guns for pre-SOTU analysis or post-SOTU reaction from survivors or family members***
About Mayors Against Illegal Guns
Since its inception in April 2006, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has grown from 15 mayors to more than 850 mayors from across the country. We have more than a million grassroots supporters, making us the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the country. The bipartisan coalition, co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino , has united the nation's mayors around these common goals: protecting their communities by holding gun offenders and irresponsible gun dealers accountable; demanding access to trace data that is critical to law enforcement efforts to combat illegal gun trafficking; and working with legislators to fix gaps, weaknesses and loopholes in the law that make it far too easy for criminals and other prohibited purchasers to get guns. Learn more at www.DemandAPlan.org
SOURCE Mayors Against Illegal Guns
More by this Source
Gun Violence Survivors, Law Enforcement Officials And Domestic Violence Prevention Advocates Join In Support Of Nevada Senate Bill 221, Bill To Expand Background Checks To All Gun Sales In Nevada
May 21, 2013, 14:34 ET
Media Advisory: Gun Violence Survivors, Law Enforcement Officials, And Domestic Violence Prevention Advocates Come Together To Expand Background Checks To All Gun Sales In Nevada
May 20, 2013, 16:45 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.