Theresa and Dave Hoover, Son/Nephew Killed in Aurora Theatre Shooting, Will Attend the State of the Union with Rep. Ed Perlmutter and Rep. Rosa DeLauro
More than 120 Survivors and Family Members in DC as Part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns' Demand A Plan Campaign; www.DemandAPlan.org
WASHINGTON, Feb. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Coloradans affected by gun violence will be part of more than 120 survivors and family members in Washington this week as part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns' Demand A Plan campaign for common-sense gun law reforms that will help end the gun violence that kills 33 Americans every day. Survivors and family members are coming from 21 states and Washington, DC.
Theresa Hoover, whose son A.J. Boik was murdered in the Aurora movie theatre shooting, will attend the State of the Union with Representative Ed Perlmutter. Dave Hoover, A.J.'s uncle, will also attend with Representative Rosa DeLauro.
As part of their meetings with members of Congress this week, survivors and family members will advocate for legislation that will:
- Require every gun buyer to pass a criminal background check
- Get military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines off our streets
- Make gun trafficking a federal crime.
- Stephen Barton, survivor of Aurora theatre shooting
- Lasamoa Cross, boyfriend killed in Aurora theatre shooting
- Theresa Hoover, son killed in Aurora theatre shooting
- Dave Hoover, nephew killed in Aurora theatre shooting
- William Hoover, grandson killed in Aurora theatre shooting
- Amanda Hoover, cousin killed in Aurora theatre shooting
- Sandy, Mindy and David Moses, son/brother killed by gun violence
- Maisha Pollard, brother killed by gun violence
WHEN: Monday-Wednesday, February 11-13, 2013
*** Please contact Mayors Against Illegal Guns for pre-SOTU analysis or post-SOTU reaction from survivors or family members***
About Mayors Against Illegal Guns
Since its inception in April 2006, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has grown from 15 mayors to more than 850 mayors from across the country. We have more than a million grassroots supporters, making us the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the country. The bipartisan coalition, co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, has united the nation¹s mayors around these common goals: protecting their communities by holding gun offenders and irresponsible gun dealers accountable; demanding access to trace data that is critical to law enforcement efforts to combat illegal gun trafficking; and working with legislators to fix gaps, weaknesses and loopholes in the law that make it far too easy for criminals and other prohibited purchasers to get guns. Learn more at www.DemandAPlan.org
SOURCE Mayors Against Illegal Guns