Medina City School District Deploys Secure BYOD Environment with Enterasys Networks Enterasys' Wi-Fi Solutions Allow Reliable Access to Over 7,500 Users
SALEM, N.H., Feb. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Enterasys Networks, a Siemens Enterprise Communications Company, has deployed fast and unfailing wired and wireless solutions in Medina City School District, located in Medina, Ohio, to support thousands of wireless devices across 13 locations. The implementation of Enterasys' IdentiFi Wi-Fi and Mobile IAM has increased the use of technology in the school and was a contributing factor in the district being selected as one of seven schools in Ohio to pilot blended learning – combining traditional classroom learning with digital learning spaces. The Enterasys solutions deliver a secure and manageable network for Medina City School District to provide high quality education and an engaging learning environment for faculty and students.
- With a limited IT staff consisting of one person in charge of support for 13 locations, 7,500 users and thousands of personal devices, Medina City School District has relied heavily on Enterasys' easy system management and Global Technical Assistant Center (GTAC) for best-in-class support.
- On the new network, students can now bring in their own laptops and mobile devices to enrich their learning experience through access to educational tools and increased student collaboration. The network can also accommodate all teachers using iPads.
- The technology also allows for new capabilities such as video in the classroom, interactive student polling for instant feedback, highly responsive location-based content filtering and online classes and assessments.
- In addition to a robust BYOD environment, Enterasys has supported the district's Apple TV initiative with over 100 Apple TVs in production.
- Before the implementation, Medina schools couldn't support mobile devices because of limited bandwidth. The wireless network now allows students in the middle and high schools to bring their own devices and elementary students and teachers to use iPod Touches in the classroom.
Jack Howell, Senior Network & Systems Engineer, Medina City School District
"Enterasys has provided the reliability and the density to have service where we need it and keep the network up and running at all times. They offered a huge amount of support that saved time and valuable resources. Our school district is now being looked to as an example of technology use in the classroom, and we couldn't have achieved that without the help of Enterasys."
Stacy Hawthorne, Technology Integration Coordinator, Medina City School District
"Enterasys has helped us make substantial and meaningful advancements in technology in our schools. Both students and administrators have had positive feedback on the BYOD initiative and it has increased collaboration in the classroom and even outside the classroom, as online testing and online classes have become more popular."
Vala Afshar, Chief Customer Officer & Chief Marketing Officer, Enterasys Networks
"With the proliferation of 1:1 computing programs and BYOD in schools around the country, it's important to offer a secure and reliable network where teachers and students can have wireless access safely and efficiently. With our support of their wireless initiatives, Medina City School District can focus on delivering superior learning and looking for other innovative uses for technology in the classroom."
- Enterasys K-12 Solutions
- Medina City Schools case study
- Enterasys Social Media Newsroom
- Connect with Enterasys via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and Google+
About Enterasys Networks and Siemens Enterprise Communications
Siemens Enterprise Communications is a leading global provider of unified communications (UC) solutions and network infrastructure for enterprises of all sizes. Leveraging 160 years of experience, we deliver innovation and quality to the world's most successful companies, backed by a world-class services portfolio which includes international multi-vendor managed and outsourcing capabilities.
Our OpenScape communications solutions provide a seamless and efficient collaboration experience – on any device – which amplifies collective effort and dramatically improves business performance.
Together, our global team of UC experts and service professionals set the standards for a rich communications experience that empowers teams to deliver better results.
Siemens Enterprise Communications is a joint venture of The Gores Group and Siemens AG, and includes Enterasys Networks, a provider of network infrastructure and security solutions, creating a complementary and complete enterprise communications solutions portfolio.
For more information, please visit:
Siemens Enterprise Communications GmbH & Co. KG is a Trademark Licensee of Siemens AG.
+1 603 952 5151
+1 617 624 3231
SOURCE Enterasys Networks