Meemic Insurance Company Reminds Drivers to Use Extra Caution During Back-to-School Season
DETROIT, Aug. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As summer wraps up and children, teachers and parents all prepare for school to be back in session, Meemic Insurance Company (www.meemic.com) wants drivers to be prepared as well for the return of school buses during the daily commute, particularly in school zones where groups of young children may be present.
"During the school season drivers are presented with a variety of challenges that they need to be aware of and prepared to deal with such as student drivers, distracted pedestrians and drivers and school buses that are picking up and dropping off children," said Meemic Insurance Company spokesperson, Pamela Harlin. "Understanding the rules of the road and being aware of your surroundings can help prevent tragic accidents from occurring as students head back to the classrooms."
School buses are widely considered to be one of the safest forms of transportation. According to the National Highway Safety Administration, riding the bus is 13 times safer then riding in a passenger vehicle and 10 times safer than walking to school. Unfortunately, many school bus-related injuries occur outside the vehicle with young students being struck by drivers illegally passing a stopped bus. To help prevent these tragedies, Meemic Insurance Company wants to remind drivers of the following tips for school bus safety:
- If you see yellow flashing lights, a bus is preparing to stop. Red lights and an extended stop sign indicated that a bus is actively loading or unloading children.
- It is illegal in all 50 states to pass a school bus that is stopped to load or unload children. On undivided roadways, traffic in both directions is required to stop when students are loading. Rules vary on the requirements of drivers on a divided roadway, but in all cases, all traffic behind a bus, traveling in the same direction must stop.
- Studies have shown that the area 10 feet around the school bus is where students are in the most danger of being struck. Stop your vehicle far enough away from the bus to provide children enough room to board the bus safely.
- Never pass a school bus on the right. It is illegal and could have tragic consequences.
- Always be alert around school busses. Children are unpredictable and often distracted when walking to or around the bus. This makes them more likely to take risks or be unaware of hazards in the area.
About Meemic Insurance Company
Meemic Insurance Company (www.meemic.com) provides personal lines insurance products to teachers and other educational employees in Michigan and Wisconsin. For more than 63 years, Meemic remains a Michigan-based company, proud partner of the educational community, committed to offering the finest possible protection, products and services at preferred rates. Trust Meemic for claims excellence, policy payment options to meet your needs and products tailored exclusively to the educational community we serve. Meemic is a financially strong company (A. M. Best rating effective February 2013). Our stability and reputation for integrity builds the confidence of our policyholders and remains the foundation for our continued mission to serve the educational community.
SOURCE Meemic Insurance Company