Meetings and Conventions Industry Continues Booming in Mexico
G20 Summit, B20 Summit, T20 Summit among high caliber international meetings held in Mexico in 2012
MEXICO CITY, Dec. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being released today by Marca Pais – Imagen de Mexico:
The meetings and conventions industry in Mexico continues booming as proven by the many events that have taken place this year, including such high-level and significant meetings as the G20 Summit of the finance ministers representing the world's 20 largest economies, the B20 Summit of business leaders from the G20 countries, the T20 Summit of the tourism ministers from the G20 countries, and the G20 Trade and Investment Promotion Summit, among many others.
"The main advantages of Mexico as an international meetings and conventions destination are clearly the convenient location to most US cities; the affordability of both air and land especially with the increase in the number of all-inclusive options; the diversity of destinations from cultural to resort to urban; and the superb service culture that exists across the country," said David Peckinpaugh , president of Maritz Travel Company, a global leader firm in the meetings, events, and incentive travel programs.
When speaking about its company's plans in Mexico in the next years, Peckinpaugh added, "We continue to see a steady increase year over year of our business into Mexico. We are working closely with the Mexico Tourism Board to expand the education of our buyers and planners, to increase their knowledge on what is new in the destinations and to build the awareness around safety that is paramount with our corporate and association clients."
Most recently, in November 2012, the Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) of North America held its 5th Annual Advisory Summit in Mazatlan, Mexico. Participants shared with MexicoToday their experience while in Mazatlan through a series of video testimonials, including:
- Gary Schirmacher, senior vice president at Experient
- Leigh Wintz, principal consultant at Tecker International
- Michael Payne, executive vice president at SmithBucklin Corporation
- James Rooney, executive director at the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority
- James Wood, CEO at the Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau
And the number of international meetings and conventions to be held in different locations in Mexico in 2013 throughout 2018 is already lining up, including:
- In 2013: 17th Congress of the International Society of Development Biologists – ISDB (Cancun); 64th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Electrochemistry – ISE (Santiago de Queretaro); and the 24th International Society for Neurochemistry Meeting (Cancun).
- In 2014: XIII International Congress of Parasitology – ICOPA (Mexico City); 11th World Congress on Nuclear Medicine and Biology (Cancun); 13th Pan American Congress of Dairy (Chihuahua); and the 19th World Congress on Information Technology – WCIT (Guadalajara).
- In 2016: International Congress of Ophthalmology (Guadalajara); and, the 21st World Congress of Echocardiography and Allied Techniques (Mexico City)
- In 2018: Congress of the International Society for Intellectual Property (Cancun); and the 17th International Conference on Emergency Medicine (Mexico City).
Meetings in Mexico contributed 1.43 percent to the country's GDP in 2010 and account for 18 percent of total travel and tourism demand generating 18 billion dollars in revenue. Mexico also boasts sophisticated meetings infrastructure. With over 57 major convention and exposition centers across the country and half a million hotel rooms in more than 3,000 luxury hotels, Mexico is equipped to hold meetings of international caliber. Due to major infrastructural development and strong governmental support, Mexico saw a 25 percent increase in world congresses from 2010 to 2011, positioning the country as 20th in the International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA) rankings for 2011.
"If you haven't experienced Mexico lately then you are missing out on providing truly exceptional experiences for your meeting and incentive guests," added Peckinpaugh.
SOURCE Marca Pais - Imagen de Mexico
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.