Megabus.com, serving more than 120 cities, highlighted in annual national study
-- Largest operator of bus transportation services in North America is highlighted in 2013 Year-in-Review of Intercity Bus Service
-- Study shows city-to-city bus continues fastest growth in transportation sector while being most-economical travel mode
-- Motorcoach growth continues for seventh consecutive year, gaining market share in transportation industry
-- Megabus.com reports sharp revenue gains while attracting record passenger volumes
NEW YORK, Jan. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Megabus.com, which serves 120 cities across North America, is highlighted in the 2013 Year-in-Review of Intercity Bus Service released today by Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development of DePaul University. The sixth annual study was released today at the American Bus Association meeting in Nashville, Tenn.
The study, entitled "Motoring Into the Mainstream / 2013 Year-in-Review of Intercity Bus Service in the United States," is posted on the DePaul website at http://las.depaul.edu/chaddick/ResearchandPublications/index.asp.
"Travelers are flocking to the bus. Not only for [the obvious benefits of] the low fares, but also to avoid the stress of flying and driving," said Joseph P. Schwieterman, Professor, School of Public Service and Director of Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development at DePaul University, while announcing the study results on January 14.
Highlights of the study include:
- Now, more people in North America are leaving their car keys at home and riding motorcoaches to get to work, take a business trip, travel with friends or go on a vacation. "As air travel sees little growth, and even decline in many markets, bus travel continues on an impressive upward trajectory," says Schwieterman. The ABA says that the motorcoach industry provided nearly 700 million passenger trips. During that same time period, the airlines provided 720 million passenger trips.
- City-to-city bus carries, of which megabus.com is the leader, expanded their number of daily operations by 4%, exceeding growth rates of city-to-city rail and airline service.
- When traveling by city-to-city bus, a consumer saved 51%, in comparison to city-to-city rail, and 79% relative to flying (with advanced purchase airfare) in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- City-to-city, express bus carriers provided American travelers savings of $1.1 billion over the past year.
- Megabus.com is developing - and has deployed - innovative new technologies to inform customers about service issues, such as delays.
"Megabus.com continues to be the popular choice of over 30 million travelers seeking safe, reliable and affordable travel options, and today we're excited to be recognized again in the annual study by DePaul University," said Mike Alvich, megabus.com's vice president of marketing and public relations. "As Americans continue to look for ways to stretch their dollar, we look forward to providing them with a safe, convenient and affordable travel option."
Megabus.com, a subsidiary of Coach USA, launched in April 2006 and is one of the largest city-to-city express bus service providers in North America.
In addition to affordable fares, megabus.com offers customers state-of-the-art, green-certified double-decker buses with free Wi-Fi, power outlets, seat belts, restrooms and are wheelchair accessible.
Visit www.megabus.com for additional information about the service, schedules, arrival and departure times and fares.
Megabus.com, one of the largest privately funded providers of city-to-city express bus transportation, maintains the highest (Satisfactory) safety compliance rating with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Transportation Safety Exchange (TSX), an independent safety rating organization that provides safety ratings of more than 300,000 passenger and freight carriers, announced in January 2014 that all megabus.com carriers are TSX-approved. Megabus.com is the first carrier group to achieve TSX approval, demonstrating the most stringent safety standards in the industry.
Megabus.com is the first bus line to offer high-quality travel for as low as $1 via the Internet. Megabus.com operates service to/from more than 120 major cities in North America from 13 hubs in Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Texas Triangle (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio), Washington D.C. and Toronto – creating more than 1,000 new, professional jobs during the past eight years. Visit www.megabus.com for a complete list of cities served.
Since its launch on April 10, 2006, megabus.com has served more than 30 million customers.
Service for megabus.com operates daily. Fares shown are one-way and include all government taxes.
* Watch the video here for Safety information.
Megabus.com is a subsidiary of Coach USA, one of the largest transportation companies in North America. Paramus, N.J.-based Coach USA owns and operates nearly 30 local companies in North America, some that have been in business for more than 70 years, which operate scheduled bus routes, motor coach tours, airport transportation services, charters and sightseeing tours.
For the latest news and travel deals, follow megabus.com on Twitter at @megabus and Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/megabus.com.officialpage.