Men and Healthcare: A Wellness & Preventive Approach
BLOOMINGTON, Minn., Oct. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- During Chiropractic Awareness Month, the Minnesota Chiropractic Association (MCA) is encouraging men of all ages to incorporate a wellness and preventive approach to their healthcare regime.
According to Men's Health Network, a higher percentage of men have no healthcare coverage and men make half as many healthcare visits for prevention as women.
It is never too late to commit to a healthy lifestyle. Here are a few tips that can be the first steps the process of improving the quality and length of life.
- Manage stress and get help if you need it.
- Eat a varied diet, rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat foods.
- Be especially careful to limit cholesterol intake and avoid saturated fats.
- Moderate exercise for 30 minutes five times a week, or vigorous exercise for 20 minutes three times a week.
- Get 7- 9 hours of sleep each night.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day.
- Limit alcohol to two drinks per day.
- Don't smoke, and minimize your exposure to second-hand smoke.
- See your doctor regularly.
- Know your family history and discuss it with your health care provider.
- If you are over 40, get a baseline PSA (prostate specific antigen) test and monitor this periodically with your doctor.
As important as it is for you to take charge of your own health and wellness, you can't do it all. Contact a health care provider for assistance and guidance. Doctors of chiropractic are wellness based and uniquely trained in identifying and correcting spinal dysfunctions that can have negative impact on your overall health and wellness.
Simple changes in your lifestyle and diet can have a positive impact on your health and can also aid in preventing a variety of health problems in the future. To locate an MCA member chiropractor near you, contact the MCA at 1-800-864-3769 or visit www.mnchiro.com.
About Minnesota Chiropractic Association
Created in 1927, the Minnesota Chiropractic Association is the only professional organization in Minnesota that solely represents the chiropractic profession on a multi-level and integrated service basis.
Contact: Debra Hurston
SOURCE Minnesota Chiropractic Association